Chapter 14

It had been a week since I had arrived in the Big Easy. Davina had been settled in. I was able to find her some nice clothing and some decor for the attic.

I as help her move everything around, she asked, "Could you tell me about her family, Saf?"

"Why do you want to know about my family?" I ask as I put some of Davina's shirts on hangers.

"Because you haven't talked about it except for the one mention of your brother when we first met. And plus I don't know anything about you," She says as she sets up her easel.

"Fine, what do you want to know?"

She puts canvas up and sets up her pencils and says, "How old are you?"

"About 1000 years old."

Her eyes go wide for a second before asking her next question, "Where do you come from?"

"Well, I was born in America before it was America. My family was some of the first Vikings to cross over the Atlantic."

"Okay, so what about your family?"

"If you must know I had seven siblings. There was Freya, my parent's firstborn. She was born in the old country and died before we came to the new world."

Her face somber as she says, "I'm sorry."

"She wasn't the last death we had," I say with a sad smile, "Then there was my brother Finn and Elijah who were also born before my family came over. In the new world by half-brother, Niklaus was born along with my twin brother Kol and myself. After us came my sister Rebekah and my little brother Henrik."

"Large family. We had the opposite. It was just me and my mom."

As I finish with her clothing, I ask, "Where is your mother now?"

"She was killed at the harvest ritual. She just stood there and wait for me to die."

"I know how that feels. My mother only a few weeks back tried to end my siblings' lives. And my father hunted us for the last thousand years."

"Saf, I'm sorry."

"My parents are messed up people," I say as I hang the clothes into the clothes.

She moves a record player to the back corner of the room. "Are the rest of your family vampires?"

"Well, my mother was basically the inventor of black magic. She created the first vampires."

"Wait you're one of the first vampires," She asks. 

I give a small smile as I say, "Yes. There were seven of us. Myself, obviously. Along with my father, my brothers Finn, Elijah, Nik, and Kol and my sister Rebekah."

"I thought you said you had another brother, Henrik, what happened to him?" She says.

I took a deep breath and said, "Henrik died. His death is what forced us into being what we are today." 

She was silenced as she kept moving her stuff around. "My story is one of tragedy."

"Saf ... I'm-"

"Please don't. People have been apologizing for centuries," I say. "How do you like the art supplies?" 

Before she could respond my phone rings. "Is that Marcel?"

I look down at my phone. "No. No, it's not."

I answer the phone as I signal her to stay silent. "Nik. What do you want?"

"Safiya, we have an issue!"

"And what is that dear brother," I ask as I walk out of the room.

"Mother created a new weapon."

"And what might that be? A new steak?" I say as I sit in one of the pews of the church.

"No mother turn the hunter, Alaric Saltsman, into a vampire who can't be killed with white oak."

"What? Blood hell Nik, why didn't you call me sooner?" I barked.

"I'm sorry but you need to hide dear sister. We are going to try to kill him but I don't know whether that is possible."

"Nik do the other know?" I asked. 

"Yes. The other scattered. You're the last one I called. Now you have to promise you will hide."

"Nik what are you going to do?"

"Just promise me, Safiya?" 

I take a deep breath and say, "Fine. But Nik ..."

"I know, I'll stay safe," He says before he hangs up on me.

I run upstairs to see Davina drawing. "Davina, darling, I need you to do something for me. I know I should ask but ..."

"What is it Saf, you're scaring me."

"I need you to do a cloaking spelling on me," I say. 

"Of course but why? What's wrong?"

I bite my lip. "My siblings and I are being hunted."

"But I thought ..."

"Someone new is after us and he will kill me without a second thought and I need to run," I say. "Now what do you need?"

"Just hold my hand."

As I do, she starts saying the spell. As she continues Marcel appears in the doorway. "What's going on?"

As she finishes the spell, I say, "Thank you, Davina. Now, do you have my number?"

"Yes."

"Good. You are to call me if you run into any trouble, okay?" I say giving her a long hug. 

Marcel gives me this look as I say, " I'll explain downstairs." 

We walk back down to the main area. "What's wrong?"

"Someone is coming after me and my family. I need to run. Davina put a cloaking spell on me to help cover my tracks but I still need to run," I say look at him.

"But no one knows you're here isn't this the safest place for you."

I shake my head as I say, "Marcel, I have a safe place to hide for a while but I need to leave now if I have a chance."

"Fine."

"But call me if you need any help with her, please. She has my number and either of you can call me if you need," I say giving him a hug.

As soon as we break, I run out of the room.