Part Twenty

"Right, come on. Let's get you inside so you can sit down."

The bright lights flickered to life as the door to Homeplate swung open. My vision blurred and I felt myself stumble from the brief lack of intense visibility, but Danse held me in a steady position.
"Wow there's way too much light in here."
"You'll be fast asleep soon enough, so I wouldn't worry about that for long."

He directed me to the sofa and sat me down, glancing at my face for a moment before heading off somewhere. My brain continued to host the venue of the Dugout Inn's music with the thumping of a beat disguised as a headache. I could feel a pressure growing harshly around my chin and raised curious fingertips to assess the damage.

"I thought I told you not to touch it." Paladin Danse reappeared holding a bottle of water and the medkit I kept stocked by my bedside.
"It stings." I whined, keeping my fingers against it whilst watching as he came around to kneel before me. Even down on one knee it was hard to not notice his height, the proportion of his broad shoulders that carried that face that was so beautiful.
I focused my whole attention on his hands as they unscrewed the cap from the water, then as they offered it to me to drink, before my eyes rose to meet his encouraging ones. He smiled gently when I rose the bottle to my lips and took soft swift sips. The burning of the alcohol that had persisted in the corners of my mouth reminded me of its presence as the coolness of the water fought against it, numbing the back of my throat with the feeling of moist comfort.
"Mmm, that's nice."
"Good, keep drinking it. Now let me look at you." I frowned as one of his hands cupped my cheek with a gentle pull to the side, titling my face away from him. I gulped, his fingers lightly tracing over the swelling of where my own hand had just been. The pain seemed to ease, a warmth spreading through as if it were healing at his touch. "You took a nasty fall, but it's just a graze, so it should heal in a few days." 

Every movement of his seemed to keep me captivated; I watched as his hands danced to dampen a hot cloth with some of the water, following them as one edged to lean on the sofa beside my leg, and the other as it returned to my cheek. Things went black for a few mere seconds of bliss as my eyes closed beneath his touch. The warmness of the cloth worked to ease the pain protruding from amidst the raw graze, but mixed with the gentleness of his hand it was gone almost immediately.
My eyes opened briefly, only to shut again. His face was close, so so close, his breath could be felt fanning across my face. My head was pounding, but my heart was winning the race.
"How does that feel?" His voice was quiet. Slow. Seductive. I swallowed down the squeal, cleared it from existence and opened my eyes once more. His face was even closer now, his eyes concerned and yet blended beneath something else entirely. Something warm, full of care and compassion, mixed with a deep look of want and lust. Mine drew to his, the conversation between them inaudible to both our ears.
Warm. Right. Comforting. What would be the right response? How do you describe something that reminds you of a touch given only by the man you love?

"Evie?" 

Blink.

"Hm?"
"Are you OK? I asked you a question but you didn't answer."
Whether it was due to the heat of the cloth, the awkwardness, or the embarrassment of me not having answered, the flush that rose to my cheeks became evident to the both of us.
"What?"
His eyes frowned, his breath thickened. "I hope you haven't given yourself a concussion." He rose his free hand, placing its back against my forehead. The flush only seemed to intensify. "You're so hot."
"What did you just say?" The warmth of my burning skin sunk into his hand, running down his arm before creeping into his cheeks.
He stuttered. "Uh, I mean, you're, you're burning up." 

A small giggle crawled through my lips, slowly gaining confidence until it morphed into a fully-blown laugh. He blushed further and I lifted my own hand to his face, holding his cheek.
"Now who's burning up?" I teased, continuing to laugh until eventually it died out completely, the proximity between us little to none. Our hands lingered upon one another, fighting the temptations we were both struggling to defeat. The breath escaping my parted lips grew weak, still.

"Evie-"