Part Twenty Four

I ran. I ran so fast my thighs were burning, hotter than the air that was choking me. My lungs were closing up as the breath was fading; my body was failing, the fight slowly draining. I wasn't going to make it without help.

There was no time to stop.

The body came out of nowhere, and then mine was slipping from the only protection I had left. My eyes began to droop and my strength depleted as the sky went black at the sound of metal swinging, creaking and slamming.
   "I'll sleep now." My voice was bare, throat dry, unable to scream as the venom was injected into my chest. I felt the burn and then the sting.

   "No, no, no, no, no, no! You stay with me, Evie!"

My body lurched and my eyes shot open. The sickness took its escape out through my mouth and ran across the floor. The pain was flooding away.

   "Evie? Evie look at me." Hands pulled me towards them, holding me tight so that I couldn't get away.
   "Oh, there you are. Don't run away like that again." I barely breathed my sentence out as he pulled me into his embrace. He was crying.
   "I thought I'd lost you."
As the strength slowly returned, I raised my arms up to meet his hug, resting them on his shoulders with hands on the back of his head.
   "You're gonna have to try harder than that."
He laughed and almost squeezed me to death. "I love you."
   "What?" My head was spinning, I felt like I was going to pass out. I leant back and looked at him but my brain couldn't muster any words. He nodded and placed his lips upon my forehead.
   "I am never letting go of you ever again."
   "You're gonna have to at some point."
   "Nope."