Contest continued

Chapter 2: My New Life                POV: Mistfeather(kit)

_________________________________________________________________________

        I snuggled up to my mom and started suckling. I had just opened my eyes and it had been about a half moon since StarClan sent me here. "Swiftkit! Dapplekit! Want to play?" I meowed. "Sure!" Dapplekit squeaked and swatted at me playfully. I swatted back as Swiftkit bounced in between us.

        "Want to hunt?" Dapplekit asked. We nodded and ran off, still keeping my mom in sight. I saw a squirrel and started stalking it. Swiftkit bounced on the leaves and the squirrel snapped it's head around and scurried up the tree. "Mousedung!" I hissed, playfully bouncing on Swiftkit. "She was going to catch it!" Dapplekit meowed astonished. "You scared it off!" I pouted as we walked back to our mom.

        "What our you guys clawing your fur out for?" Our mom, Mouseclaw questioned. "Were you three fighting?" "No we were playing-" Swiftkit started. "Mistkit almost caught a squirrel!" Dapplekit interrupted. Mouseclaw glanced at me amazed.

                                                                                ~*~ (Time Skip)

        We had started eating prey, catching small things, such as mice and maybe a vole or a thrush. Mouseclaw rarely got up and when she did, she only got up to get water. I came back carrying a plump squirrel and I placed it in front of my mom. She glanced at me and started coughing loudly. Dapplekit and Swiftkit dropped their freshkill.

        "Get some catmint! Swiftkit, you know where it is! Quickly!" Dapplekit and Swiftkit dashed off. It felt like moons before they came back with a large amount. "We already ate some." Swiftkit meowed shoving a leaf in my face and I swallowed. I gave my mom a dose of catmint. "Make her swallow, Make her swallow!" I wailed.

        The scent of death drifted from Mouseclaw. We huddled together eating our food silently tears wetting each others fur. "Don't worry...Sootkit, you tried your best." Spottedleaf murmured. "It was her time. It's okay, I will always watch over you."

        Mouseclaw entered my sight. "Mom? Who is that cat next to you?" Swiftkit asked. "Where are you I thought you died. "I am Spottedleaf, I am Mistkit's grandcat, when she was named Sootkit, before she was reborn and given to you and Mouseclaw." Spottedleaf paused. "Yes, she is dead. This is StarClan. We are your warrior ancestors. When you die, you come to live in our ranks and assist the living warriors." Spottedleaf continued. They faded from sight.

        "Was that really mom?" Dapplekit asked. Swiftkit nodded. "Let's go to bed." he meowed.
 I was exhausted and sad so I moved together in a clump with the others and fell asleep.

        A bark sounded a few fowlength's away. "Wake up! Guys wake up!" I hissed, hurriedly. "There's a fox!" We had slept near the trunk of a tree a little while off from our mom, so not to get the scent of death on us.

        I glanced towards where my mom lay and squeaked. The fox was skinny, bones showing out of her body. She barked and cubs padded out. "They're eating our mom!" Dapplekit growled and launched herself at a cub. The cub yipped and it's mom snapped around fuming. "Run!" Swiftkit squeaked and we grouped together and bolted out of the way, deep into the forest.

        Growling was heard and the mom fox came over, snarling her muzzle dripping with blood. "Is that from our mother?" Dapplekit choked and I didn't dare answer. "Follow me up." Swiftkit thought hurriedly and clambered up the tree. Dapplekit was staring at the fox, scared. The fox was about a tail length from us. "Come up!" "Go Dapplekit-"

        The fox lundged at me. I jumped and landed squarely on her back claws outstrecthed digging into the fox's flesh. The fox yelped and threw me off. It walked over to me and snapped at my throat. I couldn't move, the large paws on top of me. The fox picked me up and dashed. Blood dripped from my neck.

        I clawed at the fox's muzzle and after a while she dropped me. I hit the ground and blackness circled around me. "Am I dead?" I blurted out. "No, your just knocked out. You lost a lot of blood." A voice sounded, the voice of Mouseclaw.

        I blinked open my eyes. "Thank StarClan!" Swiftkit squeaked. "We thought you were gone." Dapplekit meowed. My wound felt better already. "What did you use?" I croaked. "Don't talk until it heals better...but I used marigold, cobwebs and horsetail." Swiftkit meowed looking proudly down at me. I cast a loving and congradulating glance at him. "Here's a poppy seed." he meowed and Dapplekit gave it to me. I drifted of slowly.

        "HELP! MISTKIT!" Yowls sounded as I woke up and I smelt a reek of badger. Just what I need to brighten my day! I thought angrily. I chased after the scent my siblings left but it went to a halt and blood was in drops on the ground.

        I wailed inside my head. I didn't want to tell the badger I was there. I padded away glumly my head drooping. No family. Mouseclaw was dead. I coudn't go back to my old life, and now Dapplekit and Swiftkit were dead.

        I was far away now, I had no clue where I was. I wailed as loud as I could and climbed up a tree where I knew I'd be safe for awhile.