Chapter Ten

I flashed open my eyes, and I couldn't breathe.

I felt the pain in my chest, something preventing oxygenation. Not even my cannula and my BiPAP could help this.

My Mom and Dad came rushing into my room, grabbed the oxygen mask and tank I keep in the corner. A rare decoration in a 16 year-old girl's room.

I was barely conscious, everything in my sight was a blur, and I struggled to even speak.

Like every other time I'm rushed to the Emergency Room, the nurse asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10. I faintly said, "six".

~~~~~~~~~~

I slowly opened my eyes, revealing my Dad sitting beside my bed.

"So what happened?" I asked, groggily.

"Usual," my Dad said.

"Fluid in the lungs preventing oxygenation," we said in unison.

He chuckled, "you know."

My Mother then walked in.

"Hazel, how are you feeling?" she asked immediately.

"I'm alright," I answered.

"Nicholas and his parents are in the waiting room," she said. "He's really worried."

"Nicholas or his Dad?" I replied.

My Mom laughed, "Sweetie, does he..." she started.

"No Mom," I responded, already knowing what she was going to ask. "We're just friends."

"Okay," my Mom said, stretching out her pronunciation of the "ay", as if she did not believe me.

I just rolled my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~

About 10 minutes after I had just arrived back home from the hospital, I received a call from Nicholas.

"Hi Nicholas." I answered my phone.

"Hazel, are you alright? How are you feeling? Are you still in pain?" he rambled on.

"Don't worry," I said, "this is just a thing."

"Well, I am worried," Nicholas stated.

"Why?" I asked him. "If anything, you've got it worse than me."

"Because," he paused. "I like you a lot, Hazel Grace Lancaster."

"And I, you, Nicholas Grady." I replied.

There was a moment of silence, as if the line went dead.

"But just friends," I wanted to clarify.

Nicholas reminded me too much of Augustus. I did not want a repetition of our little infinity with someone who was not him. Even if I could love again, I now promise myself that it will not be with another whom reminds me of Gus. Augustus Waters is, and always will be, my one and only Augustus Waters.