Chapter Two

I offered to give Isaac a ride to school, although I was already late. He went to a School For The Visually Impaired. Which was, thankfully, fairly close to MCC.

"We're here," I said, trying to hint that I was in a rush. "Need me to walk you?"

"Nah, I lost my eyes, not my le-" he cut himself off, realizing what he was about to say. "Sorry Hazel, too soon."

"It's alright," about to mention Gus' death being exactly two months from now, I decided not too. "Goodbye Isaac, have a good first day."

"Later, you too. Thanks for the ride."

I hopped back in my car and started driving to school, and was already close by. Before I got out, I quickly checked the dashboard for the time; 8:23 AM.

Great, I'm 11 minutes late. When I was usually, 11 minutes early.

A few steps away from my first class, which was English, I got a text. I didn't bother checking it, probably just my Mom checking in on me.

I walked in, obviously not expecting a late slip, or let alone a talk. My professor just glanced at me and shot me a smile. Cancer Perk.

Classes flew by. So I finally decided to read that message I had received earlier. I unlocked my phone, and went straight to Messages. And I was jinxed, this text was most definitely important.

It was Mrs. Waters:

Hello Hazel, I am almost positive you are aware of the date today. If you can just call me, I have some matters to discuss with you.

I was a bit hesitant to call, Augustus was a very touchy subject. But of course, I did.

She picked up, almost immediately. "Hazel! Thank God you called."

"Of course Mrs. Waters, what is it?"

"Well, every month after Gus has passed away, his Father and I put aside his things," she said, not yet finishing what I needed to know.

"Yes, I am so sorry." I said, feeling tears build up in my eyes.

"I'm sorry as well," she replied, sounding as if she was about to cry as well. "Anyways, last month it was mostly décor in his room. But today we're going to arrange some of his personal belongings. So we were wondering if you would like to come and help, and see if there's anything you want to keep?"

"I would love too, Mrs. Waters." I answered, sincerely.

"Thank you Hazel." she seemed okay now. "I hope you don't mind that Isaac came by earlier today and helped with some of Gus' things already."

Explains why he was wearing Augustus' jersey.

"It's no problem, can I come by after school?" which I only had 40 minutes left of.

"Okay, thanks again, goodbye Hazel."

"Goodbye."

~~~~~~~~~~

Once classes were finally over, I walked over to my car and texted Mrs. Waters:

School's over, be there soon.

Exactly a minute later, she replied. I didn't check, because I was already driving. And I wasn't going to throw away my life any sooner, cancer will do that for me.

I pulled up in their two-car driveway, for the first time in the longest time. And walked along their front porch, reminding me of the first time my feet touched these concrete bricks. The day I met Augustus Waters.

My hand was right about to knock on the door when Mr. Waters opened it. He was saying something, probably hello, but I wasn't listening.

I looked inside, saw all of those Encouragements, and my memories with Gus came rushing back.

Without pain, how could we know joy?

That caught my eye.

This was too much, but I needed to do this. If I didn't, I would have too little.