Chapter Thirteen

"I get to see a ghost." Nicholas continued.

I just stared at him.

"You see, true love is like ghosts; everyone talks about it, but only few have seen it."

I continued to just stare at him. I didn't know what to say. I can't say I loved him, because I don't. And, although he has passed, I still love someone else.

"Yes, Hazel Grace Lancaster," he spoke once again, "I am in love with you."

"Nicholas," I finally said.

"You don't have to say you love me back, or anything, for that matter. All I need you to do, is know that I love you, I am in love with you, Hazel Grace Lancaster."

I started tearing up, "Nicholas," I said again.

Then a nurse came, interrupting our moment.

"Lancaster?" she called.

I nodded, and walked her way. I turned my head to see Nicholas, exiting the hospital.

The nurse led me to a conference room where my parents and doctors already were.

"Hazel, please, take a seat." Dr. Maria said.

I took a seat across her, and beside my Mom.

"Well," one of the doctors finally said, "the tumours are now resisting Phalanxifor."

"And I'm afraid there's not much we can do about it," another doctor said.

"So, I'm going to die soon?" I bluntly asked.

"Let's have hope Hazel," my parents told me.

"I don't need hope," I replied, "I need an answer. Am I going to die soon?"

"Possibly," someone informed me.

"Thank you," I responded, "can we please go now, so I may enjoy the last few days I have?"

My parents were holding hands, trying to fight their tears.

"Anything else?" my Dad questioned.

"The drug is worsening the metastasis, and it's not helping Hazel's tumours. So, we suggest that she stops taking Phalanxifor and her daily medication." said the doctor sitting across my Mom.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Maria said with sympathy, as the others nodded.

"How long do you estimate until I die?" I wondered.

"Minimum would be a month or two, maximum; maybe a year."

"Okay," I said, "thank you for keeping me alive for a while."

They chuckled, "it was our pleasure."

My parents and I then exited the conference room. Them with tears dripping down their cheeks, and me crying loudly on the inside.

I'm a grenade about to explode, a ticking time bomb, a sixteen year-old cancer patient reaching the end of her life.