Prologue: Part 1

Accept. Adapt. Act.

Those words continue to echo in my mind as I face off against my opponent. A giant humanoid beast of sorts. The silver collar on its neck glinting as the lights shined on us in the arena. High walls of glass surrounded us and Galran's watched with wide smiles and interest in their beady eyes.

Ignoring it, my eyes went back to my opponent, diving out of its way as it's fist struck where I once was.

When my hands made contact with the floor I flipped over and onto my feet, lunging at the beast. He struck out at me and I went under its arm before coming up behind him. The sword they had given me today in my grasp and I swiped the beast across its back. It let out a loud screech and turned fast on me.

However I predicted his movements and followed, delivering another hit, this time across its lower leg making it crumple to the ground.

Dropping the sword in my hand I jumped atop its back and wrapped my arms tightly around its neck in a chokehold.

The beast thrashed about, but couldn't get me off its back. I tightened my hold more, ignoring the pain whenever his claws scarpe down my back and across my shoulders.

Tighter. Hold on even tighter.

The beast ran to the nearest wall and slammed his back to it, slamming me into it. I grit my teeth, holding in a shout as pain shot up and down my spine Ignoring it I squeezed impossibly tighter. Tighter.

He fell to the ground but I didn't let up. I felt his pulse rapidly beat against my arms as I continued on. After a bit he fell completely to the ground and passed out.

Sighing in relief I released his neck and stood up. The shouts of either excitement or anger of the Galran's roared loudly in my ears.

This is my first time in this ships gladiator arena. It's not uncommon for allies of the Galra to sell their prisoners to them.

I'm no exception.

"On to the next opponent!" I pursed my lips tightly. Usually they'd switch out prisoners, but I'm being punished. So I'm to fight until I lose.

It doesn't matter. I'll just fight. It's to be expected.

Some of the sentries came in and removed the unconscious beast. While they did that, I reached over and picked up the sword they gave me and waited.

What would my next opponent be? This gladiator stadium's champion? Another large beast? An experimented prisoner?

The gate across from mine opened and I tightened my hold on the sword. Whoever it is, all I need to do is beat them but without casualty. I refuse to allow them to turn me into a bloodthirsty warrior. Hence the intense electric shock treatment I've had for years.

Soon someone stumbled out and my eyes widened slightly. He's . . . human.

Just like me.

No that's, that's impossible.

He walked over, his own eyes, which are honey brown are wide. He must be as surprised as I am to see a fellow human.

He's a bit scrawny, but tall. His light brown hair is dishelved and looks a bit shaggy. His skin is pale, obviously he didn't spend a lot of time in the sun. He doesn't look like much of a fighter.

I can tell especially by the way he's holding his sword. It's shaking slightly. He's scared. But he walked over towards me anyway.

As soon as the door he came from closed, it signaled to begin. However the kid didn't move. He seemed stuck.