Prologue and Chapter One

Hello everyone! This story is something that just came to me the other night and I must get it out of my brain! ahaha anywhoo if you like it please comment/vote/fan! thank you!

Lady Grim

By Jahnna M. P. Irons

    PROLOGUE

    As my breathing became labored I closed my eyes. This was it. I might be 89 years old but something inside me was screaming “NO! I am too young to die!” I felt panic as my heart beat slowed and my head drooped. Tears formed in my eyes. Then whoosh just like that I felt as if a strong wind blew out my wavering life force. Snuffed out like a candle.

    Too scared to open my eyes I stayed where I was, but then something warm and peaceful filled me and lifted my detached soul off the ground. I found the will to open my eyes and was awed at what I saw.

    A beautiful girl stood in front of me with her arms stretched out to me. She had the most brilliant shade of red as her hair color and her sweet heart shaped face was dotted in freckles. She smiled and it felt as though the whole world was powered by that voltage. “Daniel dear, come with me.” Her angelic voice calmed me and I walked forward and into her arms. I felt as though nothing was a mystery to me anymore, all the puzzle pieces fit now.

    I didn’t question it. I didn’t need to, I felt so at home and contented that it just didn’t matter. It just simply didn’t matter.

    The girl released me and I looked up confused. Then I noticed where we were. The floor was all cloud like and white. The pathway we were on was gold and shining brightly in the sun. And yes the pearly gates stood proud and tall above us.

    Then I saw her. My breath hitched in my throat just like the first time we locked eyes some 50 years ago. My beauty. My love. My Anne. Tears ran freely and unchecked down my face.

    She began to run to me as I stood there dumbfounded. And just like when we were twenty she jumped into my arms and I held her close, still not believing. I breathed her in. she still smelled of roses and pottery.

    “Anne.” I whispered, and pulled back to look at her.

    She smiled mischievously up at me. “Dan.” She returned.

    Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to look at the girl.

    “Excuse me but I think you guys should be going.”

    Going? Going where? Heaven or Hell?! I felt the now unfamiliar fear creep up. But the girl smiled again and simply pointed. The gates. To Heaven.

    “Now run along you two. You have a new life to look forward to.”

    I stepped towards her and placed my hand on her arm. I looked down at her knowing full well what she was now that I saw the black hooded robe and her bone and ruby skull necklace. The one who charters souls from this world to the next. A Grim Reaper.

    “Thank you. For everything.”

She waved me off with a smile and then suddenly in a veil of smoke, disappeared.

Chapter one

    I rubbed my tired eyes and leaned back in what had to have been the most uncomfortable chair in the world. Finding that the seat squeaked when I moved a certain way, caused the corners of my mouth lifted up and as I continued to move I was rewarded with a loud squeak.

    “Stop that.” My fathers nasty troll of a secretary snapped. And she was. A troll that is. With warts and green flaky skin and all. I mean she could at least use some moisturizer!