Chapter Seventeen

Sebastian’s P.O.V

            I knocked back another shot of vodka as my Freddy tried to soothe me. “Bro, she is just confused. Give it time.”

            I just stared at him, my eyes feeling heavy and bloodshot from a long night of drinking. “Whatever.” I slurred. “She doesn’t want me.” a single tear slipped out of my eye. I roughly wiped it away and stood. Swaying on my feet I made it to the door before Freddy stopped me.

            “Where are you going?” he asked. Hmm. Good question. Her face, her beautiful face, popped up in my mind’s eye.

            “To find my mate.” I said and stumbled out the door.

            I made it to the courtyard, my eyesight becoming continually blurry as I looked around.

            The rest of the night I spent looking everywhere for her, until the sun rose over the walls.

I finally lost it and changed into my big black wolf. I ran out over the bridge and into the forest.

            I sat next to the lake and stared down at my wolfish reflection, wishing somehow I could find my mate and make things better.

Nelly’s P.O.V

            Adriana opened the door to a little cave. We walked out onto a small land gap that gently sloped down into the water.

            Mermaids of all colors and ages swam around the deep pool that was crystal clear. They all stopped talking and turned to look at me as soon as my foot stepped onto the tiny beach.

            I felt immediately awkward and self-conscious. I clutched Ember to my chest, worrying about what they could want from me. Adriana motioned me forward and I followed reluctantly.

            She pointed to a large rock that was near the edge of the water. “Sit there.” She commanded.

            I snorted quietly and set Ember down. He quickly scampered away from the gentle lapping water. I smiled encouragingly at him and plopped down on the rock. I looked back at Adriana but swiftly adverted my eyes because she was changing out of her dress. Then I heard a quiet splash and looked back to see Adriana in the water with her long red tail instead of legs.

            She swam over to a large rock that sat in the center of the pool, she pulled herself up onto it and turned to face everyone. All the other mermaids looked away from me to her. I let out a sigh of relief.

            “Penelope Grimm, Daughter of Mikalis Grimm and Iris Grimm. Strongest Human half breed in the world. We ask you for your help. But before you answer you must know something’s first.”

            I nodded. Staring intently at the red mermaid.

            “It was prophesied in the mermaid world many years ago that a child would be born in the Grimm family that was half fey. And that child would break the shackles of oppression that humans have put on us. We have waited a long time for your arrival, Penelope.” Her voice shook with passion. And I saw tears well up in her eyes.

            “The powers that bind us here against our will can only be broken by you. So do you accept the task of freeing us?”

            I looked from Adriana and to the faces of the other mermaids, some who could only be five years old. They all looked at me with hope in their eyes. I looked back at Adriana.

            Something in me made me open my mouth and say, “Yes.”

            Cheers broke out among the mermaids. They all gave me sharp toothed smiles, one of the smaller girls who looked about twelve swam up to me and reached a shaking hand out and touched my shoe. She giggled and looked up at me. “Lady what are those?” her voice was like honey to my ears.

            I smiled at the curly headed blonde mermaid with the big blue eyes and explained how humans need shoes to protect their feet from getting hurt.

            “Lady would you like to swim with me?” she asked when we had finished talking.

            “Please call me Nelly and I am sorry but I don’t know how to swim.” She looked at me shocked.

            “How do you not know how to swim?!” she asked confused.

            I shrugged. “Never learned how.” I said simply.

            She tugged on my foot. “Here come in I’ll show you how.”

            I blinked down at her big puppy eyes and sighed. I was always a sucker to puppy eyes.

            I took off my shirt and pants but left on my undergarments, hey they are just like a bikini anyway right?

            I sat on the edge and slid myself slowly into the warm water. The blonde girl swam up to me and swam around my treading form. “Hey, I never got your name.”

            “Oh I’m Rosetta.” A little girl about five clumsily swam to us reaching her hands out to me. she had the most beautiful blue tail; the color of the sky on a summers day.

            She swam right into my arms and blinked up at me her eyes the same shade as her scales. “Well hello there.” I said smiling at her. She let out a chiming giggle.

            Rosetta rolled her eyes. “That little annoyance is Bella my little sister.”  Bella frowned and stuck her tongue out at her sister.

            I laughed and bounced Bella into the air causing her to let out a screeching laugh.

            “Again, again!” she yelled so I bounced her for a while longer until I felt a small hand on my thigh.

            I looked down and saw 10 pairs of brightly colored eyes staring up at me, all belonging 10 little girls. “Can we have a turn?” a little girl with strawberry curls asked boldly.

            “Of course!” I responded.

            I smiled down at Bella and gave her a wink as I handed her off to her sister. For the next hour I played with the kids until we were all tired.

            “Little ones!” the mothers called out. “Come to bed.”

            They all “Aww but mom-!” but the mothers shushed them as they swam over and ushered them to their cutout rock beds. Then the mothers swam back over to me.

            The one with blonde hair and green scales spoke first. “Hello, my name is Kelly I am Bella’s and Rosetta’s mother. Thank you for playing with them, they can be very tiring.” She gave me a kind smile.

            I returned it with one of my own. “It’s no problem, I love kids.”

            She swam a little closer and looked down at her hands. The others behind her looked nervous; chirping sounds emitted from their throats.

            She glanced back up at me through her lashes. “It’s a great thing what you’re doing. For all of us. These kids have never seen or even felt the ocean.” She looked so sad and her sisters began to place their hands on her and to pull her close. As if to fight her sadness with their touch.

            She pushed past her sisters and came forward and reached out to hold my hands. “Bella has never met her father…he was taken away to fight in the wars of humans. Please,” she sobbed, I reached to her and pulled her into a tight embrace. “Help us.”

            “I will, I will.” I promised, to her and myself.