Chapter Four

“Penelope Sapphire Grimm!” I shot up at the harsh tone. Bleary eyed I blinked lazily at my father and Greta. I noticed that my father was angry. Very.

“Why did you attack my daughter?!” Greta screeched.

I laughed. “Wow, you two get all hyped up over me defending myself. While when Fiona out of pure spite attacks me on a regular basis—almost daily, with both words and body, you don’t even blink. And what your son had done to my life—”

“LIES.” Greta screamed. She now stared at me for the first time showing all her hatred for me in her body language and eyes. Before it was just glimpses of the hatred that lay underneath the surface. It startled me, just a tad, that she could hate me this much.

Even my father noticed it. He set a comforting hand on Greta’s shoulder but she jerked away. She quickly turned on him. “I told you we should have sent her away before she caused any trouble! She is a nuisance, suckling off our success!”

I knew that she had wanted me gone but it still hurt to hear it said so viciously. “Excuse me? Who’s the one suckling off my fathers’ success? You. Ah that’s what I thought you said. And don’t worry dad, Greta, I will leave tonight. Now if you please excuse me I need to finish packing if I want to catch the midnight train.”

I stood and walked straight into the bathroom grabbed my bag and used my arm to slide everything off my counter and right into my bag at once. With no emotion I walked back into the room where only my father now stood. He reached out to me but I dodged him and went over to my dresser, taking everything I needed.

After a minute I was ready. I lifted my mattress and pulled out my stash. I had close to 3,000 dollars. I have been working since I was 12, working odd jobs. I had accumulated it over the years, not spending a dime if I could help it.

I snatched up my small purple knapsack that contained all that money and dropped the mattress back down.

I finally looked at my father, who was still standing there looking sad and dejected. “Dad…” I began, “I’m sorry.”

Then I turned and fled from the room.