Chapter Five

I soon was sitting inside a cab driving away from my home and my father. I fought back the tears as I watched the familiar scenery fly past me.

I drifted off for a while until suddenly there was a tapping of my shoulder. “Dearie, we are here.” An old voice croaked in my ear.

I shot up and looked out the window past the old taxi driver.

Behind him sat a sight that brought fresh tears to my eyes.

The Other world School of Magic was downright…magical.

It sat atop a high hill, with a winding moonstone pathway leading to it. The building itself was shiver worthy. It was an old, old, mansion. Big ebony doors, strong white moonstone walls, even a drawbridge that lay above crystal clear water. Mermaids sang and sat atop the rocks on the sides of walls, adorning themselves in starfish, muscles, shells, and murky green seaweed.

I found myself lost in their mystical voices. My eyesight going bleary. Then I heard a loud snap and brought myself out of the daze.

“There ya go dearie, it happens to the best of us. The call of the mermaids is beautiful and usually the first time you hear it, sends ya into a dreamlike daze. Here I got your bags from the back, now if ya don’t mind I’ll take your money and be on my way.”

I nodded, still slightly out of it, and grabbed my knapsack and paid the man.

He hopped back into his cabby, whistling. Happy that I gave him a nice fat tip. Then he sped off leaving me all alone standing in front of the intimidating but still beautiful school.

I bit my lip unsure.

 I took a calming breath and grabbed my bags. Then I started the journey up the winding moonstone pathway and to my future.