Chapter One

Chapter One

" Liss I'm not in the mood, please don't start with me!"

I could feel her anger radiating off of her but I was already so close to crying. I just didn't think I could take it right now. Dimitri didn't love me. Apparently his love had faded. ' I've given up on you...love fades...mine has' that's what he'd said to me.

" We need to talk about this Rose. I asked, no I told you to leave him alone."

"Yeah I know Liss I fucked up." But he wasn't so fragile in there that he couldn't break my heart. He had handled himself just fine I thought to myself.

" What would Adrian think if he knew you were chasing Dimitri down and terrorizing him?"

Was she threatening to tell on me? Was this really my best friend? The person I'd grown up with, and swore to protect! The whole reason for everything leading up to this moment was for me to have Dimitri back. I knew it was wrong what I was doing to Adrian. But Dimitri was my life I couldn't help it. Everything was falling apart, right down to my friend ship with Lissa.

" I guess I would understand!"

Lissa and I both turned toward the voice. There stood Adrian Ivashkov himself. Damn it! He looked hurt, but I could also see he did understand. Lissa threw her hands up knowing her threat was dead now. But she came up with a new one. One that held no weight for me right now.

" We're not done with this Rose."

And she walked off. I watched her go. She had been mad at me before, but she was never really mean about it. Once she rounded the corner I looked at Adrian again.

" Would you like to come in because I can not deal with one more person telling me off in public today."

I turned and walked the rest of the way to my room letting Adrian and myself inside. I sat down in the chair by the desk removing the heals I'd worn to church. I watched as Adrian looked around my small space. The room I had been given had a small closet, a full size bed, a desk and chair, and a small bathroom. It was like a slap in the face, you know thanks for dying for us here's a bathroom to go with your hole in the wall. i was on edge now as Adrian remained silent.

" Please say something Adrian! Yell at me anything, I don't care." my voice cracked at the end.

" I knew you still loved him, when you got back from Russia you were half a thread from falling apart. I'm not mad Rose you promised you would try and you did." He sat down on the edge of the bed in front of me. " I do love you Rose, but I know when to quit. Here is where that happens. But don't worry little dhampir I'm not going anywhere. You're like my best friend."

I couldn't help but smile. Sure I'd lost Dimitri again, Lissa and Eddie were mad at me, but I wouldn't lose Adrian too.

There was a rough knock on the door so I went to answer it. A Guardian stood there looking bored.

" Guardian Croft would like to see you immediately."

He didn't wait for a reply, not that anyone would say no to that. Adrian said he had to go see his great Aunt anyway. She wanted to explain the importance of that death party again. Really I think they just used the time to gossip like little girls. I put my heals back on in hopes Croft would let me have the day off if I looked like a good church going girl. I'd had enough of garden duty this week.

The walk to Guardian headquarters didn't take me that long. It was afternoon but being Sunday there weren't that many Guardians here. I told the female Guardian at the front desk that Guardian Croft had sent for me. She told me to wait and went to go get him. After a few moments she returned.