Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

" Is this some kind of joke?" I asked incredulously

Dimitri nor Adrian looked amused. We were all tired, Dimitri probably more so then Adrian or I. He had insisted on driving the entire two days it took to get here. He'd stopped for a few hours hiding the car to get a little sleep. But why here?

" You drag me out of my hiding place here almost three years ago only to bring me here to hide again!"

That's right people we were in the great city of Portland. I knew where all of my fathers homes were, and I had never seen any that were located here. I voiced my opinion on the matter.

" No one knows about this one. He acquired it three and a half years ago according to him." Dimitri said in way of an exasperated explanation.

Well that explained the tip to the Academy. Either Russia hadn't been the first time he'd found me or he'd had someone hired to spy on Lissa and me. Either way it had turned out to be the best thing to happen, even if I hadn't felt that way at first.

Dimitri pulled the Pilot into the driveway of a beautiful colonial style home. It had a beautiful wrap around porch with a swing. There was also a Honda CRV in the driveway, meaning my fathers trusted colleague was already inside. I couldn't think of who it could be that he would trust to help hide me. Maybe Keaton, but he was supposed to be out collecting.

The neighborhood we were in was quiet, both homes on either side of this one were for sale. They were just as nice as my fathers. Maybe when this was finished I could buy one, we could come here for family vacations and Dimitri and I could retreat to our own home. If he could line the time up that was, I would have to remember he was still a guardian.

" Come on Roza , let's get out of sight. There aren't supposed to be any guardians posted in this area, but we don't know about the local police."

Dimitri had his bag slung over his shoulder and the three of us walked up the front stairs. Dimitri produced a key and unlocked the door letting us inside.

The first thing I noticed was the French doors leading off of the entry way to the living room on the left. In front of us was the stairs and a small hallway that continued to a downstairs bathroom. To the right was a dining room and another archway into the kitchen. Someone was in there.

I walked through the dining room and into the kitchen. The person standing there was the last person I had expected to see. Although I shouldn't have been surprised.

" Sydney Sage, how in the hell did he get you to do this?"

She put her glass of water down and smiled. I walked over and gave her a hug. Over the past two years she had really loosened up. But she still followed the rules of her kind, which is why her being here shocked me, to a point. I released her from the hug as Dimitri and Adrian finally found their way into the room. I suspected they'd given us a minute though.

" There is McDonalds in the fridge, I got you a lot of it. I'll go to the grocery store later before it gets dark. I also bought you some clothes. Abe gave me a specific list. I put it all upstairs in the rooms." she said happily.

Dimitri and I nodded and thanked her. Obviously none of us had had time to get anything. Adrian who had been quiet since we had arrived smirked. Nothing good ever came after that smirk either.

" So since Big and little dhampir are probably staying in the same room, do you want to have a sleepover in mine?"

Sydney's mouth dropped and her face started getting splotchy. I could tell she was completely mortified. I stalked across the kitchen, my heels clicking on the marble floor, and grabbed Adrian by the ear dragging him out of the room.