|Chapter Two|

"LEAH MARIAN HAILS...!!"

I cannot sleep in peace, even in my weekends now? And the hangover from last night made it worst. I felt like throwing up the moment I got off my bed. With the help of the wall, I slowly climbed down the stairs when all I wanted was to crawl back inside my covers, but then, it was not everyday that Jeremy Hails yelled in the morning. In fact, he was the perfect single dad out there.

"..no there must be some kind of misunderstanding James, Leah would never do that", I heard dad speak in a very clipped tone. Mr James Cowell, the deputy police was my dad's colleague as well as an apprentice.

"Chief, it was her car's plate number last night and I'm most probably sure Roger will not be mistaken. Why don't we ask her?", James suggested, rubbing the invisible sweat off his forehead. Jeremy had his hands behind, and kept pacing the living room floor as he slowly nodded.

"Leah Ma..."

"I'm here", I quitely said. I tried to keep my cool, but I was shaking with cold sweat running down my back.

"Where were you last night?", he asked in a very professional manner, and I knew the person standing infront of me was no longer my father, but the chief police officer of Merrindale. I took a deep breathe, before I was about to lie straight through my teeth to my dad, otherwise what really happened was something I couldn't break it down to him. Not after I knew how he would put me under house arrest if he ever finds out I drove to East Merrindale.

"At Froy's, I told you it was his birthday party", I said which was true, but I didn't dare to look up and prepared myself for what I was going to say next. "But.. I think I know what you guys are talking about. Last night, I thought I lost my car keys during the party...", I played nervously with my fingers. Was I not digging my own grave?

"Yes then?", James inquired. "Don't worry Leah, tell us", he said, in a less cold tone this time.

"And when I came out after party was over, my car was still there, also my keys but I found few empty cans in the backseat. I don't remember keeping them, but at that time I didn't think much", I said, slowly. I could stab myself right now, if I had that option and not lie. But that was not an option.

"So are you trying to say, someone stole your car for hours and returned it to you?"

I nodded.

"All right", dad finally said, "James, I would personally look into the matter. I want to speak with Leah, alone. I won't see you out", he told and shook his hand. James bid us goodbye and left. I was awkwardly standing, trying to escape dad's scrutinising gaze.

"What happened? Care to speak the truth now?"

"I'm sorry dad. It was all an accident and I didn't mean to break the rules, I didn't mean to go to the east side but I was only giving Dani a ride there because I almost hit him with my car and I had to take the responsibility even though he was fine and I'm sorry I was little bit drunk and I acted recklessly. I promise to never do it again.. please don't put me under house arrest, I cannot lose my job at the library", I blurted out all at once.

"Dani?", he asked.

"Huh?" From everything I said, is that all he heard? His name? "Yes, Daniel Reid DeMorgan", I said to be more precise. "Do you know him?"