|Chapter Fourteen|

Stratus. The grey horizontal sheet and the low fog setting around it, the aftermath of yesterday's storm scene was all I was watching outside. I was sitting up straight on my bed with my back on the headboard. I continued to stare out of my window and my mind too stuffed to feel the changes, the opening and closing of the door after Dr. Smith left hastily so not to get caught by the weather that could snap up anytime soon. The pain in my legs reminding me of the dreading scene, the numbness of his face, the howling storm over us, and how we lay hopelessly on the cold ground.

How was he doing?

Dad cleared his throat to grab my attention. All I wanted to be was alone. "Leah, I won't blame you for anything.. but sweety, will you listen to me?" He was as sweet as ever, but I could already hear the disappointment in his voice. I let him down again, something Heather would've never done. He sighed when I didn't respond, walking across the room to my bed. "Dani is fine, is that what you want to hear?", he asked. 

I nodded still staring out the window. I didn't knew why I was nodding for though. It possibly couldn't be for what he asked. A snow hit the glass, it was of the same size as the one he pulled out my hair. The way he smiled looking down at me. I wasn't as blue as before all of a sudden. "I apologize for my recklessness once again", I said, sincerely enough. I tried.

"Recklessness? That's not something you repeat. How far are you two?", he asked, the uncertainty to actually know the answer so obvious I could tell.

I smiled, sadly, "Barely friends."
But we have kissed already.

"Not even friends, and you'd sacrifice to this extent to save him?", he said pointing to my legs. "I don't believe that, no one would", he raised his voice a little. "What will it take for you to stay away from him?"

"Nothing."
We have seen so less of each other. It will take nothing for me to stay away from him as long as I didn't see him. The problem was every time we ran into each other, boundaries vanished and walls dropped. I didn't knew about his but mine did. In some way or the other.

He took a frustrated breath in, "Heather is coming back tonight." He dropped the bomb, finally.

"Why? Why did you tell her?", I kind of accused him.

"Because someone won't listen to me", said that he left my room, banging the door close. I closed my eyes hoping to find some peace which was impossible, the pain kept interrupting me with things I didn't clearly want to think about. And now another problem arose, with Heather finding out and how I'd have to go through a long interrogation and  how she would shake her head everytime with a disappointing sigh. I hated that.

There was nothing in our life that didn't go her way. Well mostly she never let anything go out her alley or lane. It was like she has been through a lot and she doesn't want us to go through the same thing she did, that's what she kept saying. I knew she cared, but sometimes I felt as if it was hard to breathe under her wings too. No doubt I missed her, and being close to her is all I ever wanted but not with the current situation given at hand, I would rather be glad that she was away.

I heard a soft knock. Jeff walked in, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. "Damn your legs", he commented. I looked at them, they were both bandaged from my knees to my ankles. Not factured but it were quite damaged to the point I couldn't walk for weeks. Dr. Smith said in a very sad tone, it would take more than two months to recover. It was depressing as hell.