|Chapter Eight|

My eyes flickered between the lamp post that stood near my driveway and the guy who was limping his way on the empty, deadly silent road. Of course, the camera which was installed by dad for our safety must have caught his reckless behaviour on it and instead of worrying what should I tell dad when he ask me about it, I kept wondering what was Andrew Reid DeMorgan and Heather's relationship. What really did he mean by she meant everything to his brother, the brother who went missing for more than five years now.

No one really talked about Andrew, well mostly known around as Drew not because people of Merrindale didn't want to, but because we weren't allowed to. Then again, who didn't gossip about the famous and incredibly rich DeMorgan family in the town. I was around twelve when the news of sudden disappearance of the elder son spread like a wild fire. Kirlos Reid DeMorgan, the mayor very sadly announced in the town hall how his own son betrayed him and run away with his money. He also very strictly asked the town people to stop mentioning Drew's name. No one dared to believe at first, because Drew was kind hearted, good and.. charismatic as they all said. But, when the Reid family was almost at the verge of going bankrupt in that year and the reason was Drew stole all their money and was living a high class life somewhere in the northern America with a different name, and even had pictures to proof it. The whole town agreed with the Mayor to restrained him from ever stepping back to Merrindale and after that no one saw him.

I was curious and for the first time, I wanted to know more, more than I was meant to. What really did Heather have to do with that guy, who once betrayed his whole family? And the most intrigued part was, I didn't see hate in Dani's eyes but rather a distant far off look. He must know something, right?

Knock knock.

"Leah, are you in there?", dad asked in a very worried tone. I opened the door, he was taking deep breathes like he ran miles in his chief uniform. I eyed him fully, to see if he was injured anywhere.

"Dad? Are you okay?", I panicked. Although he was really fit for his age but his job still worried me to death.

"Some of my men informed Dani's on a run again and he actually came to this way. Did he come in?", he asked, still panic strickend. I shook my head no, I didn't trust my low shaking voice if I lied. "Thank goodness! Close your windows, sweetheart."

I turned, walking back to the window and took my time in closing it as I watch as far as my sight could go on in the dark streets looking for the that limping guy. But he was nowhere. "What did he do this time?", I slowly asked.

I heard dad huff tiredly before he said, "He went to cause trouble again in the East side. Some patrol officers deflated his car's tire in the chase, but that lucky bastard already disappeared from the scene when they checked his car. He was gone. Later when they watched the surveillance, they found out he was roaming around our street." He paused and shook his head in disapproval, "That kid is nothing but trouble. You better avoid him in school, understand?"

"Yes", I nodded, I understood, but why? Why did you and Heather tell me things like that, but never gave me a reason along with it? Why should I always have to be the one whose kept in the dark? I believe, I didn't purposely became the weak, you people raised me weak. "Anyway, I'm hungry. What do you want to have for dinner?", my voice was as calm as the ocean, and my heart like an underneath storm within it. That's where the real me lived. In the chaos.

"Let's order pizza, yeah", he suggested. Then with a wave of his hand he walked out, tiredly dragging his feet on the hard board floor. Again for the millionth time I felt useless, and for the billionth time I choosed to be silent than pour my heart out.