|Chapter Seventeen|

The tiny bells near my window jingled as the wind brushed past it, creating a soft melody to my ears. And God, was it cold? I was literally covered in wool from the tip of my toe to my head which was a stupid looking Christmas hat that had this weird looking tiger printed ear flaps. I could never guess from where Dad brought them, but they were pretty warm and I eventually didn't care how ugly I must have looked in them. And I forgot to mention Jeff hanged those tiny bells on my window two days before. I opposed them at first, I thought it was disturbing my silence. However I grew to love them, the sound was no more annoying but surprisingly pleasant. Maybe I was getting used to it. That's what you do in Christmas season right? Get used to. Get used to this bright lights; snow covered ground, rooftops, tree tops; corals; cold weather but warm wishes and your neighbors sending you cookies over to taste. I don't know about other places but Merrindale family liked to share their homemade cookies. Just another tradition from the list of many traditions.

I cannot say I loved it, but I didn't dislike it either. For instance, Mrs. George made the best cookies, totally mouth watering while Ms. Theresus' one were the exact opposite. That I wouldn't taste for even 100 bucks. I didn't mean to be rude the one time I accidentally spilled them out my mouth and since then that lady never liked me. Believe me deep inside I was really happy, atleast that spared me from having her cookies in future. A picky eater like me could hardly fit in a society that cared people's feeling rather than their own favoured taste. But Jeff did fine with them. He always did. Just like Dad.

"Merry Christmas, Leah", Agnes hugged me from the back. She turned my wheel chair around. And I saw her with her all time bright smile. I returned her smile wishing her back. "I got you something", she dangled a shiny paper bag in front of my face.

"Not another weird hat please", I said, flapping those flaps near my ears.

"Of course not", she said in a duh tone. "Chief is boring. Here see for yourself", she handed me the packet. I pulled a blue box from the packet and Agnes excitedly watched me, her hands clutched together. She almost looked nervous. When I flipped the box open there was this beautiful crystal brooch with the letter "D". "Oops, the wrong packet", she said. Before I could even examine the so beautifully designed piece of crystal she took it from me and put it inside the packet. "Wait.. just wait", she went around looking for my present, I guessed. She took out another shiny packet before handing me. It had the same blue box like the previous one. This time it was a golden hairpin however inside, with a shiny silver stone designed like the lilac flower. A tiny one. I was stunned by it and couldn't help but smile wider.

"Thank you, it's so beautiful", I said touching the little piece of magnificent present that she brought for me.

"I'm glad you like it", she said, "but sweety I have to get going", she stood up with her huge handbag. She was so much like Santa.

"You're going home? Why not take some cookies for Emily?", I suggested, knowing how much Emily liked them. Especially the ones I made with extra chocolate chips on the top. Although I was in a wheel chair, with Jeff's very helpful assistance I successfully made them. Jeff has always been a very good errand boy.

"Emily did mention them before I came here. And I'm sure I saw Chief wrapping some up for me as I came up", she said. "And no, I'm not going home. Not now."

"Then?"

"I need to deliver the next gift", she said petting her bag.

"That's a nice brooch. Who is it for?", I finally took the right opportunity to ask that from the moment I saw it. Agnes really had eyes for gifts. I won't say I was curious.