Chapter - 6

THE LIVING ROOM

Jungkook - Hey, Y/N? Why don't you go for being an architectural designer, yourself?

Kook's sudden proposal makes me open my eyes wide in surprise. Me? An Architectural designer?!

Jungkook - Looking back on it, I'd actually been thinking this for a while. There's no reason you have to stick with sales, you know.

Jungkook continues cheerfully as I stare at him.

Jungkook - You want to try it too, right? In that case, you should go for it. Challenge yourself. You've got talent. I'd vouch for it.

Y/N - Talent... Me?

A rush of memories flit through my brain at that moment. I remember how it was my love of interior desogn that drove me to enter college and pursue housing studies. Every day was full of exciting new discoveries, my dreams for the future growing bigger and bigger... But then... as I continued to move forward, the bleak wall of reality eventually appeared to block my path.

Y/N - ...

Jungkook - What's up?

Y/N - There's no way I could make it.

Jungkook - You said you'd studied to be an architectural designer before though, right?

Y/N - Well yeah, but...

Jungkook - Isn't it a waste not to do anythings with it then?

Jungkook makes it all sound easy enough, but design jobs are extremely limited. In reality, there aren't that many people out there who specialize in design. Even if I wasn't able to start out as a designer... I'd still planned on getting my credentials as an architect and going on to become one someday, but...

Y/N - ...I got the stuffing beat out of me when I was job hunting after graduation. I learned my own limits then.

Jungkook - The job you land after graduation isn't everything, though. 

Y/N - Maybe not everything, but it can still have a big effect on your life.

Jungkook - !

Y/N - By the time I'd finally managed to get into Kim's sales department, I'd already had a healthy dose of reality. There are tons of people in this business who are practically overflowing with talent. You're one of them... But I'm not.

Jungkook furrows his eyebrows and a frown appears on his face.

Y/N - There was a time when I thought I was pretty hot stuff, like maybe I had what it took to succeed in this field. But looking back now, that was me being like the frog in the well. Seeing the ocean taught me the truth.

Jungkook - Even though I'm here saying you have talent?

Y/N - Kook...

Jungkook - I don't get it. That self-defeating attitude of yours... The way you're cool with just letting stuff go... I can't understand it.