Chapter 6

I stood beneath the withering tree, staring at the grave for the last victim of Jack the Ripper. The cemetery was quiet after the people left. A breeze swept through my hair, tangling (h/c) locks in spindles around me. Luxxi appeared on the gravestone. His obsidian eyes glimmered. 

"Are you regretting your inaction again? The death of one you could've prevented?" 

I sighed. "With all my years of the inexplicable, I am still human. I've regrets and wistful thinking." 

Luxxi's tail curled over his forepaws, ear twitching. "Of course." His fangs gleamed menacingly. "But death cannot be altered. No matter how far you run, no matter how fast... you will meet your time's end, eventually. Even you can't escape it, dear (y/n)." 

Noxa slunk out from behind the gravestone, wings quivering. "Let's hurry back. Tell Phantomhive to go home. I have the feeling that we're being watched." 

Right on cue, Ciel and Sebastian sauntered over. Undertaker came out of nowhere. He was most likely eavesdropping on me from behind the tree or some such. Luxxi must've heard him. He didn't seem surprised to see him. I turned to face the young lord. 

The next few days came in a blur. What I really remember was blood. My blood. And violent pain tearing through my side and neck. I was incapacitated on the floor, ankles sprained. Noxa was watching over me while Luxxi was fending off a hellhound. 

Pluto. 

Luxxi's body glowed. He grew five times bigger, slightly bigger than Pluto's dog form. They bit and clawed at each other. Every so often, Pluto spewed fire. Noxa batted away any stray flames targeting me with her tail. My head was pounding sharply. 

"(Y/n)!" Finny called. 

"Stay back, Finny!" Ciel's voice cut through. 

Luxxi wrapped his tail around Pluto's neck and pulled him to the ground, pinning him down with his teeth. The hound struggled fruitlessly, tail whacking the ground in panic. The ground cracked where he hit and a geyser began to spill over the land in a spray. 

The last I remembered was Angela's voice. Noxa was snarling at her. Then someone clad in black picked me up and I allowed myself to pass out. 

I woke to an aching all over my body. Bandages bound my wounds. My ankles were nearly completely healed. Bruises dotted parts of my exposed skin. I felt like someone had thrown me into the side of a mountain. 

Rise and shine, cupcake! How you feeling?  

I groaned as I pushed myself into a sitting position. "Like shit." 

Well, you can say that again. Been a while since I've wrestled someone nearly my size. 

Are we comparing sizes now? 

Shush it, you! 

"Ugh, what happened?" 

Well, Ciel took you to that awful village again and we encountered Angela with her hellhound, which Ciel so graciously adopted. And you followed the familiar trail to Pluto in the midst of his meal and got attacked. 

Busted my ass to save you! snarled Noxa. 

"And... Sebastian?" 

He carried you home. Romantic, isn't he? 

He doesn't even know her! Again. 

We just need to remind him. 

Remind him?! To him, you've never even met! There is no reminding! He has no memory of you.

I rubbed my temples. "I'm going back to bed." 

A barking sound caught my attention. Forgoing sleep, I clumsily slipped out of bed and opened the door. Pluto, in bare human form, was doing tricks for Sebastian, begging for treats. It looked comical. I closed the door behind me as I went out. 

"My Lady, you shouldn't be awake," Sebastian said, looking relieved to have an excuse for leaving Pluto. 

"Well, Sebastian, I shouldn't exist here either, but here we are." I felt tempted to kiss him, as I often did when I saw him. I had to remind myself that he was not yet mine. "How are you doing?" 

"Fit as usual, My Lady. How kind of you to take note of a servant such as me." He smiled that fake smile he always gave to everyone. 

"Pardon. But I do still see you as my lover. If it's one thing that's always consistent, it's your skills in bed. But I suppose immortality would do that to one." I smirked slyly. "Then again, you'd make a lovely father." 

He bowed. "Thank you. But I assure you, I've no intentions with mating. Especially with a creature like you." 

Ouch. Rather harsh, Sebby, Luxxi whined. 

I nodded. "Alright then. If you're so confident, I won't challenge it. But neither will I stop trying."