Chapter 22

I woke to the sound of soft voices and the stir of water.

"Awake, My Lady?" Sebastian called.

I rubbed my head and sat up. "Yes, Sebastian. Ciel. Where are we?" I looked around and saw fog. We were on a boat.

"You never mentioned you could turn into that," Ciel said, looking up from a journal.

"Turn... into what?"

He glanced at Sebastian, exchanging a look with him.

I looked over the boat, staring at the reflection in the water. My eyes widened. On top of my head sat a pair of antlers, exactly like Luxxi's. And... I craned my neck back. I had wings! Black wings exactly like Noxa's.

"This is... this is impossible," I muttered. "How did this happen?" I looked down at the back of my hands. The symbols were gone.

"Why not ask your spirit friends?" Sebastian suggested.

"Luxxi? Noxa?" I called.

No answer.

"They're not answering." I felt lightheaded. "I think they're gone."

Ciel pointed at my chest. "Is it because of that?"

I looked down at my pendant. It was cracked. I fingered it in disbelief. "But... this is supposed to be near indestructible! I can't believe it."

"Obviously, it isn't."

The boat rocked.

"We are here, My Lord, My Lady." Sebastian got off and carried Ciel.

I clumsily flew to shore, not used to wings. I stumbled a lot.

"Sebastian," I mumbled.

"Yes, My Lady?"

I touched my antlers tentatively. They were sharp. "Would you... ever like me looking like this?"

His eyes flashed. "And who said that I ever liked you in the first place, My Lady?"

My gut twisted into knots. "But... you... kissed me." I stared down at the ground, eyes watering. "Oh. I see. Emotional manipulation. Classic Sebastian Michaelis, the demon."

We stopped in what looked to be a ruined manor. Sebastian set his master down on a stone bench. He then turned to me with a sly smile.

"I never liked you, My lady." He leaned down to me, kissing my lips softly. "I love you."

Heat flooded my face and neck. "O-oh. Y-you do? I mean... yeah... I love you too." I offered a dumb smile.

Sebastian then turned back to Ciel. "Now then." His eyes flashed. "Don't worry, Young Master. I will be as gentle as I can."

"No," he said sternly. "Make it hurt. Carve the pain into my soul. Let it be evident that there was once a life that struggled in my body."

His eyes widened for a moment. Sebastian bowed. "Yes, My Lord."

I watched with muted emotions as Sebastian ate his long awaited, patiently cultivated meal.

Suddenly, the crack over my pendant didn't feel so dreadful.

After all, I ended up giving everything up for my demon.

"Finally. It's over."