Chapter 10

I returned to the manor with Ciel and Sebastian after dispelling the ghosts of the king and his brother. I was exhausted. Traveling over a long distance by carriage hurt my back. I had forgotten what that felt like. I wish I didn't remember. 

"My Lady, are you alright?" 

"I'm fine, Sebastian. Just a bit pained by the harsh rocking." I threw myself into bed, relishing the comfort of the soft and clean linen. 

Sebastian knocked then opened the door, setting down a tray of sweet milk and three loaves of fresh bread. "Dinner will be ready in thirty minutes. Would you like a bath, My Lady?" 

"Shouldn't you be tending to the Young Lord?" 

He chuckled. "The Young Master is preoccupied with paperwork. I doubt he'd want any interruptions after I brought in his scones and tea." 

I sat up and took a sip of milk. Luxxi appeared almost instantly and tried to swallow a loaf of bread whole. Noxa had to appear half a minute later to smack his back so he wouldn't choke. 

"Odd beasts," Sebastian commented. 

I giggled. "Definitely. What do you think of them? Other than their oddity." 

"I am conflicted that they behave as cats and are the size of kittens, yet have doggish features. But I must commend them on their intellect and strength. Luxxi's ability to grow slightly bigger than a hellhound does intrigue me." 

"It's not ju--" He started coughing and choking again before he managed to get the large piece of bread down. "It's not just me who is able to grow. Noxa can as well!" 

She shook her head exasperatedly. "Yes, but I won't if I don't have to. It's only for defense and it takes a copious amount of energy to maintain.

"I see." Sebastian tapped his chin thoughtfully. 

I yawned. "I feel like a quick nap. Can you wake me when dinner is ready, Sebastian?" 

He bowed. "Of course, My Lady. Sleep well." With that, he left, closing the door silently behind him. 

I slid into bed and tried to forget all my worries as I drifted off into a dreamless slumber. But then again, I never dreamt of anything. My mind was always complacent, thoughtless, dark. It was as if I greeted death every time I slept. Luxxi assured me that that was completely normal for a host of time spirits. So I paid it no mind.