Career

Kai had something serious to discuss with Kyungsoo. He walked the older boy to the garden to tell him.

"I need to break up with you."

"What?" Kyungsoo said, jumping to his feet. "Why?"

"Sit down," Kai said, in a way that sounded like keep your voice down.

Kyungsoo sat on the swing. "So, why?" he demanded.

"It's not that I don't like you, of course it isn't," Kai tried to clear that up. "We're really good friends and I've really enjoyed this time..."

"Friends? Is that all you think I am to you?" Kyungoo looked like he was about to cry.

"It's really not a good time for our careers," Kai confessed. "What if the fans found out? They'd be...I don't know what they'd be but I really don't want to have to hear that." He pressed his head against his boyfriend's, sadly.

"That's the only reason?"

"Yes. We can wait a few years, right?" Kai pulled Kyungsoo's chin up.

"No!" Kyungsoo glared. "You either go out with me now and we say no more about it, or we break up. Make your choice."

Kai faltered.

"There we go," Kyungsoo said, standing up again. "You chose your career. It's okay."

"No!" Kai reached out his hand, but Kyungsoo had already run past him.

~~~

Lay was banging on Kyungsoo's door. "Come out!" he insisted.

"Go away," a weak voice replied.

Kris took the door handle and twisted it, forcing the door open. Kyungsoo was sitting on his bed with clothes scrumpled and hair messed, having tossed and turned.

"Have you got any cigarettes?" he asked, croakily.

"You are not smoking!" Kris said.

"No, you don't understand. Those sweetie things that look like cigarettes." Kyungsoo pulled out his drawer, searching for them frantically.

"What do you want to do with them?" Lay asked.

Kyungsoo gave him a withering look. "I need to get hyper. Sweets make me hyper."

"Alright, I have some sherbet lemons," Lay said, dropping the packet into Kyungsoo's hand.

Outside, Suho coughed. He waited until Lay and Kris had come out, before he said, "whatever you do, don't give him sugar, okay?"