...they were kings

Exactly three months and a comeback later, Luhan and Kris returned. It was unexpected. They walked in in the middle of the night, just using their keys.

Everyone was in bed.

Kris dumped his travel bag in the living room and went into his room. He half-expected Lay to still be lying there, in his bed. He thought maybe Tao would have reclaimed old place too.

What he didn't expect was exactly what he saw.

The passionate scene between both of his ex-boyfriends made his jaw drop.

He shut the door and sunk down against it.

What? Lay and Tao? That's not even possible. He'd not even officially broken up with Yixing. And here they were, separated from him from him by a few centimetres of wood, tongues down each other's throats.

At least they'd been wearing clothes. Mostly.

Luhan came out of the room he used to share with Xiumin. Tears glistened in his eyes but he didn't cry.

They'd spent their time abroad, mostly in America. In that time, they'd somehow changed. Luhan had realised where his heart lay.

It was too late.

He would never take him back.

A noise from across the landing. A sleepy head poking out of the door. A voice that said, "Luhan?"

"Sehun?" Luhan whimpered. He wrapped his arms around the maknae, not even remembering moving. "I love you," he said, then repeated it. "I love you, I love you, I love you..."

Sehun couldn't believe it. He pulled away from the hug and shouted. "You leave for three-" he swore violently- "months and now you think you can waltz back in here and I'll be okay? You must be mental, mate."

Luhan's eyes welled up properly this time. "I'm sorry, I needed to think..."

"We had a whole comeback without you!" Sehun raged. He turned to Kris. "I guess you saw the new couple, huh?" He indicated the door Kris was leaning against. He was so annoyed, so totally infuriated with Luhan that every word came out as a shout.

Everyone was waking up. Tao, shirtless, opened his door and looked out. "Kris!" His whole face changed. He held the older boy in a form of headlock, not letting him leave ever again.

Lay stood in the doorway also, running his fingers through his hair nervously.