The end of Char-Tae

Taemin breathed in and out. He was going to ask her. He was--

"Char!" he said, in mock surprise, as she hurried to sit next to him.

"I'm so sorry, I was on the phone to Kitty and lost track of the time."

"Kitty?"

"Katherine," Char explained.

"Oh."

Char got her sketchpad out and began slowly sketching Taemin's outline. "You are acting weird," she commented.

"Yeah, there was something I was going to ask you." Taemin reached for her headphones and began playing with them. "Does...did your dream mean you're desperate to have children because I don't think I'm ready...and, yeah..."

"Ew! No!" Char was taken aback. "Children are gross little creatures, you obviously didn't see how shocked I was by the dream!"

Taemin blinked. He'd hoped she hadn't wanted children right now, but that didn't mean never. When his contract came to an end, he wanted to get married, to live in the countryside with three children...

Kai wants children. Taemin opened his eyes wide. When did that thought get into my head? Kai is as good as my brother, going out with Kyungsoo.

Char looked at him. "Are you alright?" she asked.

"Fine," Taemin lied. But he still couldn't get his mind off his best friend.

"There's something I need to say, too," Char bent her head awkwardly.

"What?" Taemin suddenly glanced up to see Kitty. "Hi Katherine, why don't you join us?" He had an impression that Kitty didn't like him, and this was reinforced by her sarcastic smile.

"Of course," she said. She didn't take a chair from another table, she sat on Char's lap.

Char went red.

"Oh," Taemin's face fell.

"No, no, it's not like..." Char tried to explain, but Kitty was distracting her, drinking from Char's bubble tea.

"I'll go," Taemin stood up. He dropped Char's headphones. "Sorry."

"I hope we can still be friends!" she called after him. Then, turning to Kitty, "Great timing."