🐙

xxx 

Yugi and Atem raced with each to back to the pier and made it before sunset. For a while they watched the beach from the rocks till Yugi suggested that Atem swim up and down along the water to look for the woman.

"What will you do while I'm looking?"

"I'll stay here." Yugi said resting his head in his hand. "I don't know what she looks like so I can't help you."

"Jeez, thanks." Atem huffed flicking water at Yugi as he dived under to begin his search.

Yugi wiped away the drops not looking away from the shore. He didn't think Atem really would find the woman though he hope he would. No, he was just hoping that a change in the sensory of the surface Atem would find another human female to court. Yugi didn't believe that a merperson and a human couldn't be together. It had to be a lie so that their kind wouldn't over breed with humans. He spent hours in their library reading through his people's history and their myths.

The city was full of different kinds of merfolk and they all either resemble more sea like features or human ones like him, Mana, and Atem. The reason behind their rang in emotion could also be because of human ancestry in their mothers blood. If only he had the chance to ask her. Maybe he could bring it up to Mana and see what she thought? Ha! He could already see her face, but she was the only person qualify to ask since she was studying under a member of the royal council.

The young prince watched a couple walking together and didn't know if he would prefer a human wife or a mermaid. If mating really wasn't possible with a human then he would have to choose a mermaid, but not now. Right now, all the mermaids trying to get him to mate with them only wanted him so that they could have a chance at having a baby that could inherent the crown. Or to boast that they shared a bed with a prince.

The two older brothers already had their harems of mermaids, but no children ever came from them. Having harems wasn't an unnatural practice among royals but Yugi didn't approve of it. He was in no hurry to find a mate and unlike his father and bothers, he will be with only one mermaid. He could never let the same heartache his mother felt befall on other.

Yugi listen to the music floating from the pier mixed with the roar of a coaster fill with screams when a human boat headed towards him. Yugi dived under before the boat could get close enough and swam down to wait for it to pass. Brother will be a while, maybe I can swim under the pier to get a better view. Taking a page out of Atem's book Yugi swam off towards the wood structure thinking that he would be done in time to come back to the rocks before his brother comes back. It will be just a quick peek.

Yugi went deeper into the water and swam along the seafloor in case there were a few brave humans that like swimming in the dark waters. He quickly noticed the amount of litter in the sand and water and sighed, wishing humans weren't so messy with his home. Little bags of chips floated passed him like strange jelly fish and the floor look like a graveyard for lost items. Shoes, glasses, carnival toys and even phones all struck out of the sand looking to be rescued. Yugi stop to look at the items since this would be his only chance to touch human tools. He was looking into a glass soda bottle when he thought he saw a human hand sticking out of the sand. Fearing that it was another lost child he drop the bottle and swam to the tiny hand and pulled out a baby doll.

He noticed how hard it felt and jump away from its strange staring eyes of blue. The doll floated down looking at the merman with a smile on its cupid lips as its blonde hair fanned out. Yugi watched it hit the sand and slowly swam closer unsure if the thing was safe. He was about to pick it up when he heard a sound of movement heading towards him. Yugi swim away from the doll in a panic to hide behind a wooden door he found not too far from the doll. He pressed himself against it then carefully peek around to see what was coming. From the dark dirty mist Yugi saw another merperson swimming with a knapsack.

He mouth fell opened at never seeing such a person before. He knew that all kinds of sea people existed but most of the people in his colony where either of the serpents, fish or eel kind. Yugi watch as the being swam closer to the doll, mesmerized how they swam gracefully with their eight tentacles pumping and swaying behind them.

Quietly, Yugi glided up from his hiding place and moved closer as the person scooped the doll up from the sand. Their long hair kept Yugi from seeing their face but from the curves of their body Yugi guessed that it was a female. A colored tentacle went to move the hair away and Yugi gasped, making the octomaid glance up locking eyes with him.

A cool minute passed without either of them moving or saying a word.

Then a spring was sprung and the octomaid took off slamming down her tentacles to make a cloud of dust to cover her escape. She turned and swam back to the ocean to her hiding place thinking that the merman would be too startle follow, but she was wrong. Yugi didn't waste time being startled and swam up and over the cloud. Atem pulled the same trick with his tail as kids enough times for Yugi to figure out how to maneuver around the sand in time to see where the octomaid was swimming.

He didn't know why he chased after her instead of letting her go. He just had to. Something had happen when he met her eyes. Something that told the octomaid to run and now he needed to catch her. For what, he didn't know either but once he does, he was sure he'll figure out what to do next.

Xxx