Main Story 6

Xxx
Two days later and the Crown Prince had a relapse in his health. Atem had already left before hearing that his father had ordered all his sons to remain in the palace. The day's council meetings continued to avoid panicking the court nobles but in the mid-morning another royal's health started to fail.

The king started having dizzy spells during the meeting and asked for a short recess. A few of the members filed out mumbling among themselves about the last task brought up before the break but there were others that glanced back at the king with a curious eye.

Solomon and Isis help the king into the private room behind his seat. Mahad stayed to clear the meeting room before following behind them. The king insisted that it was merely stress from worrying about his oldest son.

"My old friend, please, calm yourself."

"I am calm, my King." The old merman replied. The king peered at him for a moment making Solomon huff out saying, "Alright! I'm not calm. Two of our royals are feeling ill and the son you want to crown is nowhere to be found!"

Isis swam up to the king to hand him a healing drink then said gently, "I thought the princes were not to leave the palace."

"Exactly! The young prince can't even follow a simple order from his father. I had hope to introduce him to some officials today that would boost support for him."

The king sighed and said tiredly, "Thank you, my friend, but do not be hasty. I don't want to alert the royal court to my plans yet. We never place any importance on Atem and seeing him with nobles every day will do just that. Still, not knowing his whereabouts is concerning."

Mahad bow his head to the king. "It is not unknown my King. My student assures me that he is safe."

"Assurances, are not guarantees Mahad." Solomon said sipping a drink.

"Indeed," Isis commented then said delicately, "I fear we need to prepare for the worse my King. Your oldest son has stopped responding to our medicine or healing spells. I understand not wanting to make a move that will lead to a rebellion but Prince Atem should be informed of your plans."

The king had his reasons for not telling Atem. Both admittedly cowardly. For one, he didn't know how to interact with him. A sad truth that he only now felt shame for. The second reason, he fear the reaction from Atem. When he mated with Atem's mother, he was delighted that she bore him sons but never saw either of them becoming king. Even when they started training Atem in his late adolescence for the throne it was out of formality since it was a custom to have three royals trained. But now...

"Yes. It is time that Atem understood his place. I cannot allow my mistake of leniency towards my son jeopardizing the good of the Kingdom." The three council members bowed. "After I tell him tonight, I want the marriage interviews to start. I want to see him married and mated before I die."

"As you wish." Isis said raising her head. "I've already put together a list of mermaids. The interviews can start as soon as tomorrow."

The king was about to thank Isis for her diligence when the door sounded with the voice of Zev following. "Father? Are you well?"

Solomon groaned but waved at Mahad to open the door. The king took a long drink before glancing at his son. "Pardon me father," Zev said bowing, "but your council is wondering if the meeting will start soon."

"No, no more meetings today. I'll have everything that is not urgent reschedule and leave the serious matters to Solomon."

The old merman nodded his head, but Zev wasn't pleased. "Father, I am the second son. Therefore, I should be the one in your place under the circumstances."