Chapter 8 Part 2

Later the next evening I tried my best to get ready for my "date". However, not knowing where Roderick was taking me I dressed for what I thought would work best for the mission and hoped I would blend in wherever he took me. One of the most important items was the black leather Chinese Laundry over the knee boots, with a wedged heel that I hoped would stabilize my ankle if I needed to run or fight my way out of somewhere. The boots had a fold on the top which helped hide the pocket I added inside to hold my most durable fighting fans. I put on the corset that Hugo had sent over that morning, it was deep red with black lacing overlay and a bitch to put on. But the most important feature was that in the back next to the fixtures there were two hidden pockets where the boning had been removed that allowed for two very thin stakes, no more than the size of chopsticks but very sharp, to be inserted. There was padding at the top to stabilize the stakes and so I didn't accidentally stab myself. The stakes didn't need to be very big to do the job, the idea was to just pierce the heart not necessarily destroy it. The elder wood held some kind of magical properties that made vampires mortal so that other injuries could kill them as they would a regular human. I wasn't too sure on the whole mythology behind it. The stakes worked, that's all I needed to know.

I matched the corset with a pair of black lace hipsters feeling a little embarrassed that Roderick was going to be the first man to see me in lingerie in, well, forever. Not that I was a virgin or anything but lingerie was not the same as underwear. Not lingering on that thought I twisted and bent, checking my range of motion with the stakes in their padded pockets. My makeup was already done and I was wearing my hair down again, curled away from my face.

Finally with only a few minutes till eight, I put on the champagne colored baby doll dress that flared at the waist. Accessorizing with a wide belt that would hopefully disguise the feeling of the stakes on my back. Hopefully, that and my generous cleavage would keep Roderick from catching on too soon.

Right at eight o'clock, there was a knock at my door. I slid on my black double-breasted military peacoat and grabbed my bag. Opening the door I smiled at Roderick, surprised that he was dressed in only designer jeans, a black v neck sweater that clung to his broad muscular torso, and a charcoal wool coat. Great, I'm overdressed, I thought, self-consciously looking down at myself.

"You look beautiful. I can't wait to see what is under the coat." He told me causing me to jerk my head up and look at him questioningly. He looked just as surprised as I felt at his words and quickly fumbled trying to make it right.

"Oh, that isn't what I meant. I was just trying to say I bet your dress is – great. Um. I didn't mean to offend you." The vamp actually used contractions he was so thrown off, I was resentfully charmed. My smile became genuine at his obvious discomfort and I gave him a rueful shake of my head as I closed the door behind us.

"You look nice as well, Roderick."

We walked to the car in silence, he avoided touching me but I could feel his warmth next to me. I wondered if he fed before picking me up, did that mean I would not have the opportunity needed tonight? Vampires aren't cold like most stories claim, but when they feed they get warmer than the average human, almost like a fever. The thought sobered me and I must have made a face when I got into the car.

"Is everything alright, Aisling?" A slight note of worry in his tone. I became irritated at his concern for me. When would he start acting like the monster he was? Probably right before he ripped my throat out.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just wondering where we are going tonight."

"I thought we could go back to my place," he smiled. The excitement was clear on his face as he pulled the car out of my parking lot. "I thought I could cook us a late dinner," there was a slight questioning lilt at the end that made me wonder if he was nervous. It had to be an act, results of years of hunting and making his prey feel at ease.

"That sounds amazing. Do you live alone?" Trying hard not to make the question seem too awkward I said it in the most offhanded way I could manage. I hoped it sounded like I didn't care about the answer.

He gave a soft laugh, "No, actually I do not. The estate is quite large, I have family and employees that live there with me. Not to mention many traveling guest I offer accommodations."

"When you say family, do you mean crazy Uncle Sal or a wife and children?" the note of apprehension was real. I wished I would have done more research on his house now. He would have had to hide a wife and kids pretty well, but I could have easily found some information about his house. I kept making stupid mistakes and they weighed heavy on my shoulders.

"Of course I am not married." He actually sounded offended. "What kind of man do you take me for?"

"I'm sorry. There are a lot of bad people in the world. I shouldn't have asked that." Trying to defuse the tension I pushed on, "Do you have a lot of family?"

"Yes. There is always something going on with them too. I will say that they do keep me busy and sometimes entertained. Although, I am afraid I do not have a crazy Uncle Sal." The warm affection in his voice felt authentic, he was most likely talking about his clan of vampires. They would be made up of all vampires he personally made and the ones they made and so on. Some vampires adopted others that lost their clans, some got traded like in sports and some vampires were even won from defeating another vampire. I looked down at my hands thinking about that. All this presented the problem of privacy if we were going to be surrounded by vampires all night. My heart sped up at the thought, he must have heard it or sensed my uncomfortableness.

"But we will be in my quarters for the evening. I live somewhat separate in a guest house of sorts. It will offer us privacy and save your sanity, I am sure." He gave me a reassuring smile that I returned.