Chapter 20: The Rubix Cube LAURENS POV

Well we're alive and Porce has decided that we should lay low. Porce counties to drive until she finds another hotel. It's small maybe about twelve stories it's also pretty beaten by the war. Porce goes in and asks for three rooms which they grant for I honestly have no clue how much. Porce never tells us how much any of it costs for us to stay anywhere. We all head inside to begin settles Porce says we staying here for about a week before we're going to start moving towards Korea. These rooms unlike the ones in the other hotel are quite small. They only have one bed a couple of night stands, a bathroom and a half kitchen.

Doryan and I are rooming together which isn't that big of a surprise given everything that's happened. As I unpacked my bag Parks makes himself comfortable on the bed before snuggling into the pillows. I finished getting settled fairly quickly and Doryan still hadn't returned from talking to Porce and Seo, so I decide to start unpacking his bag as well. I'm almost done when I come across a rubix cube it's Doryan, I'm assuming has only gotten one side completely finished the yellow side. So I sit down on the bed and start working on the orange side and Parks gets up and starts snuggling against me meowing at me lovingly before settling once again except this time he settles in my lap.

After I finish the orange side I smile to myself I loved these kind of puzzles growing up it brings back memories. "Hey Laurens Porce said --" he cuts himself off and I look up at him to see him looking back at me with anger. He snatches the puzzle from me before turning towards me and through gritted teeth "Don't touch the puzzle." after saying that he grabs Parks from me and walks out and on the small balcony. I just stay still shocked that he was so angry I've never seen him like that before. After a moment or two I decide to go talk to him so I go over to the balcony.

"I'm sorry Doryan. Are you okay?" he nods a little. "You can talk to me Doryan, you know that right?"

"Yeah, I know and I'm sorry I got so upset. It's just that this puzzle means a lot to me." He says holding Parks closer to him to comfort him his eyes meet mine and his eyes get softer "It belonged to my baby brother before he passed away when the bunker caved in."

"I'm so sorry but I know what that's like Xander is the only family I have left." I say back to him.

"You two are pretty close." Doryan states and I nod in response "How'd you two meet?" he asks.

"Now that is an interesting story wanna hear it?" I ask him. He shrugs and I begin recalling the story of my past.

The new neighbours moved in it's a small family with an only child. I caught a glimpse of him yesterday while he and his father were moving boxes. He had the darkest black hair I have ever seen. He was wearing a grey hoodie, black jeans, a light blue shirt, black leather boots and lastly covering his right hand was a black fingerless glove. I don't know his name yet but my mom said I needed a new friend and not play video games all the time and spend time with "Real people" so here we go.

" It's a nice day so I decided to walk, he's just a few houses down I approach a small house it's old and has a grey tint to it. I walk up the stairs as I was about to knock on the door when it flew open making me jump back and then I was knocked off my feet and into the grass.I look up to see light brown eyes meeting mine "sorry," the boy said softly "It's fine," I say standing up dusting off my blue jeans.He stands as well and a moment of silence lays over us as we stand there in the grass. I decide to break that silence "I'm Laurens, What's your name?" "Xander" He responds with a slight nod."Well, Xander, do you want to come over to my house and play a video game?'' A look of surprise crosses his face as his gaze shifts back to his new house. "A few minutes couldn't hurt." he whispered still facing his house his gaze shifted back to me and says "Sure but just for a little while an hour at most."

We arrive back at my house and i pull out all of my games. We decided to on the newest Mario Kart game I chose my usual Waluigi and he chose dry bones.The one hour turns to about four. The next day it was the same thing and the day after. That's how almost every day went for years. Ever since that day we were always together even at school we made sure to always be together. We were together when the war started.

********************************************************************

We entered our bunker together, It was dark and small but luckily it was well-built considering the circumstance. The real question is if it will hold up against the bombs. We all hope it won't be long because each bunker only has enough resources for a year at the most. The bombs after effects began to settle out of 20 bunkers in the state there's only 5 left. They split what resources could recover from the wreckage to the bunkers that are left. Not only that but sickness has begun to spread quickly within the bunkers that are left. My mother and father caught whatever it was they died a few days ago, Xander's parents were in a different bunker he just got news one of Russia's firebombs hit it directly making it completely cave in killing hundreds of people inside. Now it really is just Xander and I we promise to stick together no matter what. We were stuck in the bunker underground for seven years, trapped in the darkness. The night we were able to leave Xander and I made one last promise as we looked at the wreckage of our homes. Someone is going to pay for the deaths of so many people including our families. That night we made a promise to avenge the world that was."

"Then we got the okay to exit the bunker and we met the rest of you." I finish.

A moment of silence follows until Doryan places his hand over mine "I'm sorry about your parents but Xanders not your only family anymore we all are." he says a look of pure happiness on his face.

"I can say the same for you." I use my other hand to grab the rubix cube and I look into Doryans eyes before placing it in his hand. "I have a feeling that your brother didn't want you to solve this on your own Doryan just remember that we are here for you."