Priscilla: Sleepover Day

It's like I am frozen in time, all I could hear is my heartbeat, and the sound of my fast breathing.

Then Ross suddenly moves to the driver's side and tells me to pull down the window. I shake  my head and he bangs on my window over and over again.

"OPEN THE FUCKING WINDOW!", he yells with fury.

I get scared that he's going to break it, so I roll it down.

His face is inches from mine, red, hot and angry. Then, he pulls away, and stands up straight.

He doesn't say anything for a moment, standing there, his face turning back to normal color. He has to be bipolar.

Then he forces a wide creepy grin and slams his hand on the hood of the car. "What are you doing here Priscilla?", he says through his clenched teeth.

I am too frightened to answer, and he slams his hand on the hood again, getting impatient.

"I....um..... I was going to pick up Lexi but she said she'd rather take the bus." My hands are shaking and I put them under my thighs.

He takes a deep breath and says, "Where is she going?"

"To the sleepover", I say a little less scared.

"At Seattle's?"

"Yeah. At her place."

He gives me a small smile and wavs to me as he runs down the block and turns right, to the bus stop.

After my heart finally slows down to a regular pace, I shift the gear and made my way back to the dorm.

I park my car in the same parking place I moved from this morning. I pick up my things from the passenger seat and run upstairs to get ready for the sleepover.

I get to my room and unlock the door. I close the door behind me and throw my things on my bed.

My bed has a pink bedspread and a pink and black striped comforter. I have about 5 white pillows squashed together, looking like a pile of cotton.

I go into the bathroom and turn the light on. I look like a wreck. My white tank top is wrinkled and my black skinny jeans has dirt on the knees by kneeling on the floor today.

My hair is even worse. My braid isn't even a braid anymore. My ribbon is close to slipping out my hair.

If I ever lost this ribbon I'll be screwed. It was my mother's ribbon and before she died, I promised her I'd never go a day without it. She always said it was good luck and I've been wearing it since I was 8.

I comb through my ash brown hair with my fingers and braid it again. Then I tie the shiny long red ribbon at the end.

I wash my face and change into my Betty Boop pajamas. I throw a white T-shirt over and sweatpants. I pick up my bag full of sleepover stuff and dump my phone and keys inside.

I put on my black Nike sneakers and head to Seattle's dorm.

As I got closer to her dorm I see a guy, he looks familiar, and then he turns around.

Ansel.

I haven't seen him since I saw Marceline and him making out in his apartment on Monday.

I've been avoiding him, not answering his calls and text messages. What is he doing here anyways? Seattle's room is right there, so close, but I'd have to go past him to get there.

I duck into another hallway and wait there for about 5 minutes.

I look again and he isn't there. I take a breath of relief and walk to Seattle's door.

I ring on the doorbell and look around. I see Ansel pop out of nowhere and he makes direct eye contact with me.

Panic rises in my throat and I yell without thinking.

"OPEN THE DOOR QUICK", I shouted. I look again and Ansel starts slowly walking toward me with concern on his face.

Just then, the door flings open and Marceline is standing there with a what-da-fuck face.

"Omg!! I just saw- I um.. just saw a.. um.. spider!!" I blurt.

Marceline just stands there for a second.

"Ok?", she says looking confused.

She gives me a face and I push past her and see Sky's and Seattle's beaming faces.

I hear her say something really low but I can't make it out.

Seattle was excited and jittery. "Hi", I said as I pull her into a tight hug. I give Sky a hug too.

From the corner of my eye I see Marceline staring at me. She's probably wondering why I didn't give her a hug. Jackass.

She doesn't deserve a hug from me. She probably has no idea what's going on but I don't care. She just dated my best friend out of nowwhere. Perf.

"I'm going to get us some drinks from the store, guys", Sky says putting on her shoes and throwing her jacket on. She runs to the door, opens it and and leaves.

Seattle tells me to set myself up on the floor and I get myself settled.

I lay out my things in a neatly order. I sit on the floor and look up. Marceline is staring at me. I look her in the eyes with unexplainable anger.

She looks uncomfortable and shifts her eyes to the floor. I hate her for dating Ansel. I hate her for being at Ansel's apartment the night I wanted to ask him out. I hate her for having Ansel first.

Marceline is suddenly excited and looks at me.

"Turn up!", she yells.

I don't feel her excitement at all. I stare at her with a deadface and she looks away. I'm not friends with her. Her ass shoulda figured that shit out.

All of a sudden, there is a banging at the door. Marceline goes to answer it and it's Lexi.

She lets Lexi in and closes the door. I give Lexi a big bright fake smile. Seattle gives Lexi a spot next to me on the floor.

I hear a jingle of keys and the lock of the front door turns. The door opens and there's Sky, with bags probably full of drinks.

She closes the door behind her and I look around and everyone- even Lexi looks excited.

I smile again, but this time it isn't fake. It's a pure genuine smile.

Tonight is gonna be awesome.