Remembrance

"Is it going to be a girl?" she asked. Katrina could really be persistent when she wanted to know something, it was one of her best qualities.

The day was set in the early morning when the sparrows were still chirping on the window's ledge of her parents' room. Katrina loved the view for she could see the whole neighborhood underneath. There was a big oak tree in front - she observed and named every bird that came across and her favorites were sparrows, it was maybe because they were the tree's most frequent visitors. Morning sun brought warm rays onto the bright beige room decor so it made a pleasant feeling of living in a cloud. Katrina spent every morning by the window after her parents left for work or just woke up in general. This morning her father was packing his bag to leave for Belarus, yet Katrina was doing anything but suitcase packing. She was lying beside her mother on the bed, caressing her pregnant stomach, while she was braiding the little girl's hair.

"I want to know already!" Her mother smiled and tied the end of her daughter's shiny black braid. She always liked her dark hair, despite being blond herself. Katrina was what she always envisioned her daughter to be. Her olive skin was smooth just like her baby cheeks, while her dark green eyes were hiding misteries of an adult woman.

"It'll be a surprise for you once you get back from Belarus! By then I'll know the results of my scan," she kissed her daughter's forehead gently and pressed her head to her chest, "I promise you'll be the first one to know."

"Now, get your suitcase ready and I'll come check if you took everything you need," she added. Katrina nodded obediently and left to her room. Her mother stood and walked over to her significant other. She had a worried look in her eyes and he saw it. "You be careful there," she wrapped her hands around his shoulders and whispered in his ear, "You heard those reports about missing girls, I know you did, I saw you standing in the hall before you stepped in the kitchen the other day."

Her man's face was pale and she could see she was right when she touched his hand - it was cold but sweaty, a sign of nervousness. "Promise me you'll watch out for our little angel no matter what," her finger slid over his ring finger and slowly touched the cold steel of his engagement ring, "I'm as happy as I ever will be right now and I don't think we deserve anything to be taken from us right now." He nodded and turned his front to her. The golden sunlight illuminated her bright hair and he knew he couldn't abandon this moment without kissing her.

"Eew!" They heard a repelling squeal from their daughter, who was now standing next to them. They both chuckled, she always reacted like this. They remembered when they were children and they thought the same thing about their parents. "What are you doing, huh, you little munchkin? Are you spying on us again?" her father said jokingly and picked her up into the air. Katrina's screams and giggles of joy filled the room instantly. It really seemed like nothing could ruin their happiness.

I jolted awake and in the motion almost fell on the floor. I managed to grab my nightstand at the last moment and pushed myself back on the bed. "Shit.." I sighed and went to the bathroom to get some water. While I was waiting for the glass to fill I glanced at the window of my scruffy motel room. My hair was far from clean, there was still some dust stuck in my locks. I was walking by the highway for most of yesterday's day. My eyes which used to be so full of wonder and determination were now merely a prop to see the danger the world was allowing me to see. My shoulders were tired and pale. I was either walking in the shadows or at night and when I went in public I always wore multiple layers of clothes to try and hide my appearance that's how my shoulders didn't get much sunlight.

I knew I'd have to change my look completely if I wanted to stay invisible, but I just didn't have enough will to do it yet. I sighed once more. When did Katrina even look her best? When did I actually try and look like a woman I always wanted to be? I remembered one moment from when I was preparing for a mission a while back in Belarus. Me and Natasha were trying on new bigger combat jumpersuits. Our previous mission happened so long ago we grew in the meantime. Natasha was occupating the mirror, while I sat on the floor preparing the guns.