Chapter X

Classes were taking all its student's time. It took all their time during the week and most of the weekend. Ashton's help kept Ruby on top of her work. The streak of heavy school work ended when the school dance arrived. Teachers refused to give their students homework over the weekend with the school dance. The dance was on a Saturday: Ashton went home with Ruby the Friday before the dance. They had breakfast and hung out. Ruby's backyard was large and enclosed with a tall, wooden fence. The backyard was gorgeous with healthy, green grass that had just recently been cut. The edges of the fence all around had a flower bed, which was in full bloom. There was a great variety of flowers. There was a tiny, human-made pond in the center of the yard. Right as a person stepped out the back door the person would step on a patio. A graveled pathway from the patio led to the pond. On the terrace was outside furniture that complemented the patio. Ashton and Ruby spent the afternoon decorating the backyard for Tilly. They hung lights around the courtyard and streamers. They picked flowers to spread around the patio. While they decorated, Jack was doing mind puzzles to pass the time.

Early evening arrived, and that meant Ashton and Ruby needed to get ready. "I have never gone to a dance before and need you to help me look appropriate," Ashton said, nervously. "I would not leave you astray," Ruby said, both were still in their sweats. Ashton sat in the chair in front of Ruby's dresser. Ruby started by getting the few knots out of Ashton's hair. Then Ruby took a bunch of hair on both sides and twisted them. Afterward, she brought them together and tied them up with a hair tie. Then Ruby took all Ashton's hair and put it in a low ponytail; the ponytail laid on Ashton's right shoulder in front. Ruby took out her jewelry box and brought out a thin, skin-color with jewels headband. Ashton put it on herself with Ruby's aid. Ashton was wearing her tiny, clear studs in her ears, which she wore twenty-four seven ever since she got her ears pierced at the age of thirteen. Her mother was getting her second holes with her. On the same day, they got matching pretty, silver chain necklaces, which Ashton always wore. Ruby's light, brown, straight hair was in a bun a few strands hung out. She used another headband from her box similar to the one she gave to Ashton, except it was an off silver with a twist design. "Should I wear make-up, I never do?" Ashton asked, hesitant and conflicted. "It is your decision," Ruby responded. "Only a little," Ashton said, timidly. Ruby put a small amount of make-up on her, and it was subtle. Ruby did the same subtlety but enhanced the amount a tiny bit. Finally, they put their dresses on. Ruby had strappy, black heels on, while Ruby had black, flat sandals.

Jack arrived around seven o'clock in a classic white and black suit with an untied bow tie. The front door led down a narrow hallway to the back. As a person walked into the house, they saw stairs that went upstairs. "Hey, Jack," Rye said, coming in surprising Jack. "Hey, mate," Jack responded, giving him a handshake. "Jack, I praise you and my sister with the relationship you two have. I consider you a brother already and my parents adore you. Hey, mum and dad," Rye said as his parents came in with a camera. Rye walked upstairs towards his room. "Hello, Chris and Carol," Jack said, pleasantly to Ruby's parents. "Jack," both responded, joyfully. "What is Rye doing here?" "He came for a surprise visit, which is nice. It is nice to have both children home," Carol answered. "What do you think of Ashton?" "We find her fitting, she has become a true mate of Ruby's," Carol responded for both. Chris went to the bottom of the stairs. "Ruby Summer Caste," he hollered. Ruby appeared at the top of the stairway in a peach-colored dress that was knee length. It was a flowy dress that showed every curve on the waist and below. The top was a heart dip with no straps. There was no design or pattern on the fabric, it was just plain. The moment Jack saw Ruby a humongous grin appeared upon his face. Ruby descended elegantly down the stairs, she exchanged several warm smiles with Jack. Jack could not stop smiling at Ruby. Ruby met Jack at the end of the stairwell; Jack grabbed her hands and brought her closer to him. They were still giving each other smiles and warm looks. "You look gorgeous," Jack said. Ruby blushed a tiny bit and gave him a peck on his lips. "Thank you," Ruby said, timidly. "Ashton does not have anyone to go to the dance with. So...can she come along with us?" Ruby asked as a favor. "Sure," Jack said, without any concerns. Suddenly, Ashton appeared in her strapless, sky blue, flowy, knee length, pattern-less dress. Jack and Ruby were still holding hands, staying close facing the stairwell. Ruby smiled with satisfaction, pride, and approval. Jack was grinning in amazement, he was almost speechless. "Wow," Jack whispered under his breath. Ruby could see a unique gleam in his face when Ashton descended from the stairs. It made her feel a tiny bit insecure. Ashton was tense and fearful as she came down. "You are coming with us," Ruby said, happily. Jack was still speechless; "Thanks for allowing me to come along," Ashton said; everyone could hear nerves and fear in her voice. "May we take a few photos?" Carl asked, eagerly. "Of course," all of them responded, politely. Jack got in the middle, putting an arm around each of them. Chris took the photos; Rye had re-emerged from his room. He stood at the top of the stairs making funny faces. "You should take a few without me," Ashton interrupted, kindly. She moved aside, so the camera was only focused on Ruby and Jack. Ruby and Jack re-positioned with Ruby in front of Jack holding his hands, which were wrapped around her. After they took a few photos; they said their good-byes for the evening. William took them to the dance. Ashton took the front seat for the first time. Jack sat in the back with Ruby. The ride over to the dance was silent.