Chapter XII

William was awaiting their arrival to take them home. William never asked about their trip during the ride home: Jack and Ashton never mentioned anything about the trip. When they returned to the Manner, Jack and Ashton immediately unpacked. After they cleaned up, Ashton was visited by Jack. "Are you happy to be back?" "Somewhat, how about you?" "Sort of," Jack sat in Ashton's window seat. "Umm...so, why are you not bruised from the fight with Hugh?" Jack rose an eyebrow and gave her a look. "Hugh may be a clever and genius man, but physically he is weak and does not know how to fight hand to hand combat. He is deadly, but it is not due to his fighting skills. All his victims were killed by machinery that he was navigating. Andrew was killed by a car, driven by Hugh. Hugh just had to steer the wheel and press the gas. A bullet killed your parents and Edward; Hugh had to pull the trigger. And for the attempted murder of us and Matthew, the fire would have killed us. Hugh only had to unite the fire." Ashton was not surprised by his answer; Jack was observant and analytically. Ashton considered Jack wiser beyond his age, which was because of his life experiences. "Besides I already have enough scars," Jack tried to joke about it, but pain could still be detected. Both pretended their trip had not scarred them, but it had.

The next day was reserved for visiting Tilly and Ruby. The night before both Jack and Ashton had texted Ruby to inform her about their return. Ruby expressed her delight and told them that Tilly had been discharged from the hospital. Tilly was finishing her recovery at the shelter. William had driven Jack and Ashton to the shelter. "Hello, Jack and Ashton," Ms. Smith, greeted them in delight. "How is she doing?" Jack asked, graciously. "Tilly is recovering beautifully. She is moving around with crunches. She still has cuts and bruises healing, but they are healing well." Ms. Smith escorted them to the small backyard, where Tilly was enjoying the fresh air. Tilly was sitting in the grass with her crunches next to her.

Jack and Ashton went to sit next to her. "Hello," Jack said, happy to see her. "Hello," Tilly said, pleases to see him. Jack hugged Tilly; Tilly hugged Ashton. Tilly had a cast on her leg; on her face were visible cuts and on her arms were bruises. "How was your trip?" Jack and Ashton exchanged a look, "Successful," Jack responded. "How are you?" Ashton asked. "I am doing okay." "That is good," Jack said, relieved. It was a short visit, but being home secured many more visits. Ms. Smith escorted them out, "I want to help pay for the medical bills," Jack proclaimed. "Really?" Ms. Smith said, startled. "I do, I feel responsible for the accident, so I feel an obligation to pay for it." "Thank you," Ms. Smith said, grateful. Jack had purposely neglected to mention that she was related to him; he felt that it was not the right time.

Jack and Ashton stop at Ruby's house. Both were excited to see Ruby and Ruby was thrilled to see them, too. Everyone exchanged friendly hugs and took a seat on Ruby's porch. Jack and Ashton started the visit with what happened during the trip. Ruby could barely believe what she was hearing. "I wouldn't have been able to handle that news; I admire you two for your strength and how you are handling it. I am grateful to have you two home, safe. And I know that you two can stay strong until the end." Ruby was expressing her loyalty and support as a friend. Ruby had to take a large sigh of relief and astonishment. Her face was expressing shock among other emotions. Ashton excused herself to use the restroom. "So...have you fallen in love with Ashton?" Ruby bluntly asked. Jack immediately began bushing and avoiding eye contact. Finally, he made eye contact with Ruby; he had a grin appearing on his face. "I am beginning to fall in love with her," he answered timidly. "That is great," Ruby said, happy and supportive. "Are you going to tell her how you feel?" Ruby questioned, worried. "No, I chose the worst time to start having feelings for her. We are in the midst of so much. And I do not know how Ashton feels about me." Jack said, frightened and disappointed with his emotions. "Do you have any regrets?" Ruby asked, timidly. "...about us? No, you will always be my first love and have a place in my heart. Yes, you broke my heart, but I have healed for the most part. You were right...how are you doing?" "My heart is almost healed. I am sorry for hurting you that is the only regret I have. Jack, you will always be my first love and have a place in my heart." Both paused in between their sentences and emphasized a few words. Ashton's return had them abruptly stop speaking. "So, we should go," Jack said, seeing William drive up and being thankful. Ashton nodded and hugged Ruby; leading the way to the car. Jack followed, Ruby gave him a look, and he gave her a look.