Chapter XVIII

Two years had quickly come and gone without Ashton ever visiting. But, after two years Ashton was finally coming home. When she arrived at the airport, Ruby was there to greet her. "Hello," Ashton excitingly and loudly announced. Ruby had a large grin of delight. They greeted each other with a giant hug. "What's wrong with you not visiting?" Ruby jokingly asked. "Sorry, I was trying to graduate college in two years, which required all my time." "Of course, you and Jack both...while I am about to start my third year. You're a graduate, right?" "Yes, I am a college graduate," Ashton confidently and happily. Ashton and Ruby retrieved her luggage and drove to Amy's. "So, is Jack, a college graduate?" Ashton asked, curious. "He is," Ruby answered. "So, you look great," Ruby said, complimenting her. "Thanks, you do, too," Ashton complimented back. "So, did you find yourself any boyfriends in Australia?" Ashton immediately turned red, "No, I did not have time," she answered, embarrassed.

Tilly rushed into Jack's room, jumping on his bed with excitement. "Ashton it home!" Tilly loudly spoke with joy. "I know," expressing his joy, as he lifted her off his bed onto the floor. Tilly calmed down and stood in front of him. "Jack, promise me something," becoming serious. "What?" Jack answered, cautiously. "Promise me that you will stop pretending that you are okay alone and that you are happy." "But, I am happy, and I'm fine with being single." "No, you are not...tell Ashton how you feel. Stop wasting time that you can be spending with Ashton."

Tilly put her hand out with the pinky extended with seriousness. Jack reluctantly wrapped his pinky around hers, "Promise," he said with a sigh. Tilly left his room satisfied. Jack sat at his desk, thinking before it was interrupted by Amy. "You know Ashton is about to arrive," she reminded him. "I think...," she began before being interrupted by her son." "I know, I already promised Tilly," he said, frustrated. "I hope everything goes your way," she answered, supportive. Jack pulled out a small, black, velvet sack and carefully placed it in his pants pocket. "What is in there?" Amy asked curiously. "It is a ring; I was expecting Ashton to visit a year ago. I was prepared to tell her how I felt, but she did not visit. So, it has been sitting on my desk." Jack refused to look at Amy as he spoke timidly with embarrassment. Amy was thrilled with what she had heard. The door's knocks startled Jack and Amy. Tilly answered the door, "Ruby and Ashton are here," she shouted. Amy and Jack exchanged looks before making their way downstairs.

Amy sped down the stairs to greet them with enthusiasm, while Jack descended with composure. The breath was taken out of him at the sight of Ashton. He was not prepared to feel the emotions he experienced at the sight of her. The girls were hugging, giggling, and jittery as they welcomed Ashton back. When Jack stepped onto the first floor, all commotion ceased. Ruby, Tilly, and Amy backed away, giving Jack room to approach. "Hi," Ashton greeted, shyly with a slight grin. "Hello, can we speak?" Jack responded, anxious. "Sure," Ashton answered, more relaxed. Ruby, Amy, and Tilly dispersed upstairs exchanging a look with Jack as they passed by. Jack led them outside, where the landscape had transformed since her departure. Amy's plant garden had brought flavor to the naked meadows. Flowers of all sorts and greenery had created a gorgeous jungle-like environment. They quietly walked through the flowers and greenery to a patch of grass. It was a beautiful day, rain had not fallen for several days. Ashton and Jack elegantly positioned themselves in the grass.

Neither one spoke, and there was only the sound of nature. Both were distracting themselves with their surroundings. Ashton was facing away from the cottage, so she was unaware of what was happening behind her. Jack looked towards the cabin and to his surprise saw all the females looking onward from Tilly's window. When they realized Jack had spotted them, they did not even try to scatter from the window. "So...how are university boys?" Jack asked, extremely awkward. "Umm...there have been no college boys. It has been all about the work. What about you, any college girls?" Ashton responded, less awkward. "Nope, all about school," Jack answered, somewhat relieved. Ashton was secretly pleased to hear his response. Jack's eyes were wondering when something on her ankle caught his attention. "What is that on your ankle?" he asked, curious. Ashton immediately became red with embarrassment and was not able to look up. "It's a tattoo," Ashton muttered. "Of what?" Jack asked surprised, lifting Ashton's jeans to have a better view. "You know the text: I survived...I found...I lost...Everything, I sent before departing to Australia?" Ashton had gain confidence with speaking to Jack, able to exchange glances. "Well, that is what I got tattooed wrapped around my right ankle. It sums up what has happened to me." "That's nice to hear because I got a tattoo." He rolled up his left sleeve to reveal a tattoo on his inner forearm. When Ashton glanced at his tattoo, there was a coil of words: I survived...I found...I lost...Everything. "Why?" Ashton was startled by his choice. "The same reason you did; my life's journey has impacted me tremendously. Your text told my story." He had grasped one of her hands into his and gave a comforting smile. Then he became nervous, which confused Ashton. Jack had always been confident around her. His hand left hers, which went to his wrist. Tilly's bracelet had never left his wrist since receiving it. The bracelet covered the bulk of his wrist. Jack took the bracelet off, revealing another unknown tattoo with the initials: Us. Ashton was speechless and tried to act oblivious, "Umm...what does that tattoo represent?" "It's for us. I got it sometime after we returned from visiting Theo in prison." Jack spoke with unsteadiness; he took a deep breath. "