Chapter XXVII

During their performance, there was a single spotlight aimed at Myles and Crescent. The audience could appreciate and credit the composure. He was equally as important as the dance. People praise him for playing three instruments. The audience was similarly pleased and intrigued by Crescent's graceful, elegant, and beautiful dancing. Multiple colored lights illuminated the stage and followed Crescent's movement. At the end of their incredible performance, they got a standing ovation. Myles and Crescent took a few bows before returning backstage. "You were magnificent; everyone now knows how incredibly talented a musician you are." Crescent complimented with an enormous smile. "Thank you," Myles bashfully answered. "You were absolutely stunning with your performance. I bet everyone in the audience envied your talent." Jack complimented, before excusing himself for a second. He returned with a bouquet of sorts. "These are for you; you deserve them." "Thank you, "Crescent said, beaming a smile. After the sweet exchange, they went their separate ways to change.

Myles and Crescent met back up after changing and walked over to Dr. Alden's classroom. Amy, Tilly, Ruby, and Jack were in the room. At the sight of everyone, Myles converted back to his reserved self. "This's my grandma, Amy. My aunt, Tilly. Ruby, who's like a mother to me. You know my papa," Crescent introduced. All the ladies were staring at Myles, judging. Myles knew they were evaluating him. He cared about their approval. Jack asked, "Who gave you the flowers?" in a stern voice. "Myles," Crescent responded, bubbly. "I did," he answered nervously with a scared smile. "That was a sweet gesture," Tilly said, approving. "Such a gentleman," Ruby said, approving of him. "Indeed," Amy agreed. Despite the women's approval, Myles was not able to relax. He wanted Jack's approval, too. Jack's stayed tensed and buffed. "My daughter says you're staying at school for break." Jack voiced sympathy. Everyone was holding their breath waiting for his answer. "You're...invited...to...stay...with...Crescent and I during the break." There was suspense after each word. At times, Jack seemed as if he was regretting his decision. Myles just stood stunned, looking fearful in front of Dr. Alden. Tilly, Amy, and Ruby were standing on the side grinning. They were reframing from looking too pleased. Crescent was showing off her pearly whites and high cheekbones. Jack avoided any eye contact with any of the females. "Thank you," Myles sheepishly answered. Jack gave him a final nod before silently exiting the room. All the older females shared the delight with Crescent. Myles was still standing in disbelief. Crescent carefully approached the stunned Myles with a grin. "I hope your break will be less dull and lonely," Crescent softly spoke, blushing. "I think it will; thank you," Myles said, coming out of his daze with a grin and sincerity. Myles departed to pack

The ride home with Myles was quiet and suffocating for all. Myles entered the Alden's beautiful, extravagant home with privilege. Jack had led everyone to the living room. "Please, sit," Jack asked politely, but sternly. Myles and Crescent immediately sat on the couch with their hearts racing. "Ruby, Tilly, and Amy have returned home, so our guest room is open. Myles, you may stay in the guest room. Crescent, you are not allowed in the guest room while Myles stays with us. I know there are feelings between you two. So, I have a rule...you two can't be in a room together that has walls and a door that can enclose you...together." Jack stood firmly in front of them, eyeing both. His voice was elevated and tough. Both kids were shaken. "Yes, sir," Myles assertively replied. "Yes, papa," Crescent answered, quietly. Finally, to the two youths' relief, Jack excused himself. "Sorry, for my papa! He's intimidated by you because you are going after his daughter." "He's a father; I expected nothing less." "So...I still know very little about you. And if you're going to be my housemate for the next several days, then I need to know something about you." Crescent spoke persuasively. "Fine, but I know only a little about you. So, you must tell me something about you, too." Crescent gave a grin and shifted her body to align with Myles. "Umm...the B in my initials stand for Bailey; it was a name my mother liked." "My full name is Myles Adam Colton Kennington; Adam is my grandmother's maiden name." "I was born on May 8th." "Really, mine is May 7th." Myles had moved closer to Crescent. Crescent took the chance to grab his hands; Myles did not pull his hands away. "Umm...I have a younger brother, Hal. I have happily married parents, who've been together for thirty years. My mom is Katelyn, and my father is Paul." Myles spoke about his family with great pride. "We live on a large piece of land in the country. We have five pups that roam our house." Myles stopped to try to think if there was anything else, he needed to tell her about himself. "So, that is pretty much everything about me." "It's enough for me," Crescent replied satisfied. Before dinner, Crescent laid on the couch listening to Myles play trombone.