Chapter XVII

Jack, Tilly, and Amy quickly formed a close family bond. Theo rebuilt his strong relationship with his sister. He developed a close bond with his niece and nephew. Theo continued to look up to Dr. Stuart. Amy and Theo were very fond of Ashton. Ashton and Dr. Stuart had become extended family to the Alden/Sorin clan. Since Ruby was close to Ashton, Jack, and Tilly, she made an effort to bond with the adults in their lives. Ruby gravitated towards Amy. Amy became an adult that she was comfortable consulting about every subject. These bonds strengthened with frequent dinner gatherings: Ruby joined occasionally. On Jack's 17th, he had his first birthday bash with people he cared about and loved the most. He had finally received his license. His big birthday gift was a car. It was the summer before university, Jack, Ashton, and Ruby shared with each other about their anxiety about the future. They all reached out to the adults around them for advice. Amy was calmly accepting that Jack was leaving for college. She was grateful for all the months she had shared with him.

Ruby knocked on the cottage's front door. Amy opened the door; she was elated to see Ruby. "Hello, darling!" "Hello Amy, is Jack home?" Ruby elegantly asked. "Sorry, but no: Jack took Tilly out to breakfast. But, you are welcome to come in and wait for him. They should be home soon." Ruby took Amy's offer with delight. They both settled down in the living room, where Amy was relaxing with her tea. Amy resented being alone, so having the company gave her comfort. "Do you want anything?" trying to be a generous hostess. "No, thank you," Ruby declined. "Jack is lucky to have you as a lifelong mate," she complimented. "Thanks, but I should be the thankful one for having him as a mate. I actually came over to talk to him about college. He, along with Ashton, are the people I talk to about everything." "So... I heard that you were once in a relationship with Jack. Did my son break your heart? If he did, I will have a talk with him." Ruby began blushing, "I hope you do not forbid me from coming around after telling you this. But, I was the one, who broke it off. So, I broke his heart, but my heart was broken, too. It was for the best; for both of us." Ruby quietly and timidly answered. "Ashton?" Amy nonchalantly guessed. "Y..e..s, they have always been meant for one another. I did not want to stand in their way. At first, Jack did not accept his feelings for Ashton." "And now...," Amy said, curious. "He has told me he is in love with her, but he refuses to confess it to Ashton," Ruby answered, frustrated. They heard the door unlock, which triggered a new topic. "So, do you know where you are attending college?" "I have decided to attend college here," she answered as Jack and Tilly entered the room. "Hello," Ruby greeted, flushed. "What are you doing here?" Jack asked, surprised by her presence. "I came to see your mother... I should go. It was lovely seeing all of you," Ruby said, quickly dashing for the door. Her departure startled Jack and Tilly.

It was the end of summer, and everyone was prepared for college, except Jack. Amy sat at Jack's desk, while he was lying on his bed relaxing. "So, I know you applied to multiple universities. Most of them far away and was accepted to all of them. So...why did you decline all of them to go here?" Amy asked frustrated and confused. Jack sat up to directly address his mother. "I want to attend university here. I want to be nearby to make sure you and Tilly are cared for. Besides, I know that you want to spend as much time as possible with me and Tilly, which I want, too. You lost the important parts of my life; if I go to college here, it gives us more time." "That's sweet, but I'm fine, and so is Tilly. We can manage by ourselves. I cannot be selfish with how much time I spend with you. I don't want you to regret declining these amazing opportunities. It was never your dream to go to university here." "I have made up my mind. I will not regret it," Jack addressed stubbornly. Amy could not help but smile with his decision. There was a stillness in the room for a few moments.

Jack was preparing to lie back down, "People require love and compassion." Amy's tender statement made Jack pop back up. He gave Amy his full attention. "They are two important concepts to grasp; they are not to be ignored." Jack rose an eyebrow, "What did Ruby tell you?" he asked suspiciously. "Nothing I did not already know, she just filled in details." Jack gave a large sigh, "So, it is that obvious?" he timidly responded in embarrassment. Amy nodded in reply, "Ashton is leaving, are you going to allow yourself to let her leave without telling her how you feel?" Amy asked, concerned. Amy left giving Jack time to contemplate.

Late afternoon, the Alden/Sorin clan, plus Dr. Stuart and Ruby, gathered together in the airport to send Ashton away to university. Ashton with the men's help got her luggage checked. They gathered in front of the departure area. "M.O., thank you for being by my side for all my life." Ashton was tearing up. "My pleasure, I have always seen you as a granddaughter I never had. I will miss you, but we will see each other again." Dr. Stuart was struggling to hold back the tears, especially during the hug. Theo and Amy stood next to one another. Ashton approached them. Theo spoke first, "Thank you for helping to get me free and it has been a pleasure to get to know you." "It has been amazing to get to know you. You are one inspiring man." Amy moved forward, "It has been a privilege to have you around. You have done so much for this family." "It has been amazing to meet the real Amy." "You are part of this family," Amy and Theo echoed. "Thank you. You two have become an important part of my life." Ashton was getting sentimental. The emotional goodbyes continued with Ruby, "Girl, there are no words. You mean the world to me. I'm forever grateful for you." "You mean the world to me, too. I'm going to miss you mate. Call me up once in a while." Ruby gave her friend a hug. "Always! And this is not goodbye!" Ashton concluded. Both wiped away tears. "Thank you for being a friend and mine," Tilly said, sweetly. "You're welcome, but thanks for being a friend of mine. Your friendship is very important to me." "It's to me, too," Tilly said, before embracing. Jack and Ashton stood parallel, not saying anything for a view awkward moments. "A.B.C., thank you for being in my life. You were always meant to come into my life." "You're welcome; thank you for being part of my life." Ashton exchanged her final embrace, before boarding. Ashton sent one last text before hitting the air, which said: I survived... I found... I lost... Everything. The message caught Jack's attention with dismay. Finally, he felt regret for not telling Ashton how he felt. He was ashamed of ignoring pieces of advice that were offered to him and being naive. Ashton, immediately, missed the security of having contact with Jack every day, along with everyone else. It was her first time entering the world entirely independently, which was frightening.