Prologue

Verity shifted impatiently in her seat at the back of the class. It was Friday, and the bell was just about to signal the end of the day. Mrs. Downing stood in front, still blabbering on about some complicated Algebra sums. Being the mastermind that she was, Verity didn't need to pay attention in math. The only school subjects that she struggled with were science and languages. Everything else she always got above 90% for. Felix sat at the front, absorbing every word that the teacher said. Callum sat two seats over from Verity, anxiously counting down the seconds on his watch.

Five...

Four...

Three...

Two...

RIIIIIING screeched the school bell. All the students in the class sprung out of their seats and started running for the door. Mrs. Downing stood at the front, trying desperately to get everyone to listen about their homework assignments. Ignoring her, as usual, they all shoved our way out of the classroom, and into the corridor. Verity broke into a sprint towards her locker. Once she arrived, she grabbed all of her books and headed to her group's special meeting spot. She arrived last, Felix and Callum having taken their books out already from their lockers which were closer to the math class.

"Hey guys," Verity greeted, walking up to them.

"Verity, nice of you to finally join us," joked Felix. Callum gave a small chuckle, and readjusted his bag on his back. "where are we going this time," Callum asked. "Coffee on the corner or Jo's Ice-cream?"

"Coffee," Felix and Verity said at once.

The three friends set off down the road, strolling to their normal coffee place. They arrived and pulled out their weekend homework. Verity pulled out her math homework and quickly did it while drinking her coffee. The boys gradually finished after her and handed them to Verity to check. Verity marked their work and started with her biology. After about 30 minutes of homework, the trio decided to take a break.

"Did you hear about how Lightstalker took out a whole gang of robbers last night?" Felix asked, showing them a clip of him caught by the security cams. Verity rolled her eyes at his excitement. The so-called 'Lightstalker' had seemed to pose nothing but a threat to the city.

"What's the deal about him anyways?" Verity asked. "All he does is light things on fire and destroy more than what he saves."

"But he also saves lives, Verity. You really shouldn't be so negative about him." Callum said.

Verity opened her mouth, about to give a sharp answer back, when the glass of the coffee shop windows exploded, showering them full of glass shards. Verity let out a shrill shriek as a shard hit her leg, sinking in about an inch or more, and green like gas started filling the room. She started to fade out of consciousness, and she saw a blurry figure of a person wearing a gas mask standing over her. She felt herself being lifted into the air and faded out of consciousness.

-----

Sorry for the short chapter, I promise that future ones will be longer. This one was to kind of get the story going, and it gives a background of the day that she disappeared.