Chapter 32: Is This Closure?

Guilty by Reason of Insanity

I stand in front of the doors of a mausoleum, dressed in a black blouse and pants covered by a coat and wool hat.

I move my shoulder and leg carefully, getting the blood flow working. Doctors called it a miracle that I didn't die from blood loss. I now have two scars where the arrows were.

A fitting parting gift if there ever was one.

I look at the names on carved on the plaque on the door. In Loving Memory Of Those Taken From Us To Soon: Ashley Reynolds, Sophie Masters, Conner Hayes, Paul Harrison, Tyler Wilson, Quesa Mayfield, Dr. Charles Wilson, Dr. Peter Rogers, Tyra Dawson, Scott Myers, Brandon Hall

It's been a month after the trial and the ground is covered in early December snow. A month since all of the victims were properly laid to rest. With my hands in pockets, I take out my left hand and look at the ring on my finger.

I'm not wearing it for him hell no. I'm wearing it for me. To remind myself I faced a monster and got away.

The trial was a month ago, a week after Thanksgiving. Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity was the verdict the jury read for Seth Hammond. The defense went for Insanity plea because of Seth's reason for the killings.

When the Detectives and Seth's lawyer discussed the punishment, the lawyer said that Seth would be taking the Insanity defense. In other words, Seth's not responsible for the murders because at the time of them he wasn't in his right mind.

Seth's heartbroken sister Aubrey and their Mom and Dad agreed to the plea. After the trial, they moved out of Chicago and to New York. For a clean state.

At this moment, Seth's in a mental hospital taking his color coded pills while the families of the victims are trying to get a better trial. Not surprised since Seth's getting no jail time. They don't care he's 16. In their eyes, he'll always be the monster that tore their worlds apart.

And I'll always be the girl he did it for. The girl who he took and escaped. Not really a victim, but not a survivor either. Something in-between.

Does anyone really win here? Is this really justice? He's in a padded cell instead of a steel one with bars while they're six feet under.

I don't have to worry about him spilling my secret because no one will believe him anyway, thank God for that.

My phone rings before I can even begin to try to answer my question. I clutch it in my pocket before taking it out an answering it. "Hello?"

"Sis?" Hunter asks. A half smile adorns my face at my brother's voice. He sounds cautious and....his voice sounds thick? Like he's been crying or trying not to...

I scrunch my eyebrows. " Yeah, what's wrong? Did something happen with Dad?". I ask.

He sniffles. "No, God no. It's, it's Mom".

My heart drops to my stomach. She's dead he's calling me to tell me our mother is dead. Oh God. I knew things wouldn't go straight back to normal but this? No no no

I swallow my heart that seems to have jumped into my throat. " Wha- what about Mom? What's wrong with her?".

Hunter let's out a teary laugh. " Huntress you won't believe- She's, she's awake. Mom's- Mom's awake she's finally awake".