one

8 October, 1986

Max got back home from school. Normally she would go to hospital to visit Billy, but lately she stopped going there. Seeing Billy like that hurt her, she wished he could wake up even if it meant he'd be still mean to her. And how long would she keep visiting him anyways? It's been a whole year and three months. Max had started high school and she had tons of homework and studying to do.

"Hi mom" Max greeted at Susan, who was in the kitchen cooking chicken and potatoes. "I have a good news for you" Susan smiled at Max as she put four plates on the table. "Are we having a guest?" Max asked, wondering why her mom would put four plates when they were three. 

"Honey" Susan smiled "Billy woke up." Max's face broke into a grin "Aren't we going to visit him?" She asked, regretting not going to hospital after school. 

"Neil went to pick him up, they'll be here shortly." Susan said. "Oh, okay" Max said and went to her room to change. Ever since Billy fell into the coma no one has mentioned him at home, as if he didn't exist and Max barely saw Neil. He had gotten a new job and he was often out of the town. He didn't hit Susan, but he was frequently yelling at her and complaining at Max to do the chores. 

"Max, they are here!" Max heard her mother yell from the other room. Max was very excited to meet Billy. After what he had done for her and the kids, would he change? Max wondered. She wondered how Billy would react to Max since she was all grown up now. Well... at least she was taller than last year. 

Max left her room and went to the living room, where designing woman was playing on TV. Oh, how she and El loved this show, they couldn't keep their eyes off the TV, but now Max didn't care about it at all. She stood facing the door and waited patiently for it to open and reveal Billy.

The door opened, Neil came inside first, then followed by Billy. "Welcome back" Susan hugged at Billy and then she walked away in kitchen with Neil. Max's eyes lit up as she and Billy made eye contact. Billy gave her a slight smile and Max ran to him and hugged him tightly. Even though Billy was mean to her he was her hero and Max loved and cared about her step-brother. 

"I'm sorry for everything" Billy said, hugging tightly at Max. "You are my hero Billy, you are a hero" She said. "Okay, okay let me go, now." Billy and Max chuckled. "Kids come here, let's eat" Susan called from the kitchen. 

The dinner was very awkward. No one said a thing. After a while Billy excused himself from the table and went in his room. It was pretty much the same as he had left it. He decided to take a bath and then changed into a simple white t-shirt and some black pants. yep, not your usual Billy Hargrove style, but Billy was done being an asshole, he wanted to be done being an asshole. 

Billy knocked at Max's door. "Come in" He heard a soft voice and he opened the door. "Hey, can I come in?" He asked and Max nodded her head, a smile spread across her face. "So um.. I wanted to talk" Billy said. Max signed at him to take a seat next to her,so he sat down on the bed. "I know I've been an ass, but I want to change" He said "First I want to apologize to you, for everything. I'm sorry for hurting you and your friends. I can't fully understand what happened to me but.. it wasn't me. I've never meant to kill anyone, Max" His voice broke, Max put her hand on his arm "Billy, I'm sorry you had to go through this, none of the things that happened were your fault" She said. "And my friends... they are very grateful of you and they'll be very happy when I tell them you woke up" "Is everyone alright after.. y'know from those stuff" Billy asked. "Yes, don't worry about it" Max smiled at him. "Would you mind dropping me at Byers' ?" Max asked. "Yes, of course!" Billy said and stood up, but stopped when he saw his red journal on Max's table. When he was bored and it was late at night he'd take his journal and pencil and draw some sketches. He had a few sketches of Max,too. "What is this doing here?" He asked and grabbed his journal. "I uh... I just.." Billy saw Max got nervous and he felt bad for scaring her. "Hey it's - it's alright to take my stuff, but next time if you need anything ask me okay?" Billy said softly and smiled at Max,that calmed her down and she nodded her head. "By the way, nice drawings" Max said and walked out of the room. 'Fuck' Billy muttered as he remembered that he had few sketches of Steve Harrington, and in most of them, Steve was shirtless.