Gifts

Italy's eyes fluttered open to a room filled with the light of the moon. The light casting on his face making an eerie glow to it. Making him seemed a harmless being but in truth he wasn't. He looked around to find he was alone, the room looked like a haunted house of the sorts. Almost making him remember the first time he entered the very building he wishes time and time again to forget. A building in which he wished never existed in the first place.

He looked at the clock in the wall. The ticking a familiar and yet soothing sound. A sound that almost wanted to make him sleep again

But that sleep was swept away as he heard a small knock on the door. It was faint but was loud enough to be heard. He slowly got to his feet and peeked through the hole.

Germany.

He unlocked the door slowly. When he did he was surprised by what Germany had in his hands.

On his right hand he had a bouquet of lily flowers wrapped together in a red bow and in his other hand of what looked like a bunch materials for art in a look-through bag. The bag leaning most of the weight against his stomach.

"Italy" Germany said in surprise "I didn't expect for you to be up this late"

They were both silent for a moment, neither of them not really knowing what to say to the other. Until Italy spoke first.

"How did you get the flowers?" He asked with a small but curious voice. He stared at them but mostly stared at the bag that Germany had. It had been a long time since he had a pencil in between his fingers.

"I..." Germany didn't know how to tell Italy he had been planing to leave it in his room as a surprised. A small surprised he had come up earlier that day when he had seen Italy's forced smile in the kitchen. "I asked around the flowers shops if they had any. Almost all of them had little so I went to many flowers shops as I could to gather this many" He gave the flowers to Italy.

Italy held them gently and smelled them to make sure they were really real. He sighed in pure bless having to smell something that was from his country. Something that reminded him of home. He then saw Germany held out the bag of art supplies.

"And I got you this"

Italy smiled. "You didn't have to Germany"

"But I had a feeling I need to. Italy, this morning I could tell you were trying hard again. I thought of many things that could maybe distract you and I quickly come up with pasta but I knew you would eat it right away. And then I come up with what you love to do the most. Draw. And then this," He touched a petal of one of the flowers. Soft under his touch. "I then thought to bring something that reminded you of your home"

He gave one of the rare smiles that was only reserved for him. A smile that was all honesty.

Italy didn't have words. So the only thing he could do was hug him. Hug him like it would be the last time he could.

Germany was startled for a moment but then hugged back. One hand in the back of his head and the other around his waist. Hugging him tightly but not enough to destroy the flowers.

"Thank you, Germany"

He cried.

For the first time in a long while he let his tears fall. He wanted to get them out. He wanted to show HIM he couldn't break easily, that he had people he could rely on. And that he wouldn't repeat the same mistakes again. Not if he could help it. He would be strong, not just for himself but for his friends.

Italy's sobbing slowed down to quick breaths and sniffs. His body shaking.

They were both on the ground on their knees, having gotten on the ground during Italy's sobbing, but they both didn't care.

Just as long as you get everything out. I don't mind waiting for you all night.

Germany gently rubbed Italy's head, being mindful of his curl. Whispering soothing words every now and then. When Italy finally calmed down he looked up at Germany and said in a quiet voice.

"Thank you for everything" And leaned his head towards his chest.

Germany smiled to himself.

"You know I would always have your back"

When he looked down towards Italy again, he saw him sound asleep. Small snores coming from him. Germany carefully carried him bridal style and went inside the house. Closing the door behind him with his leg slowly and went on his way to Italy's room.

On his way there he saw Prussia leaning against their bedroom door.

"I really thought you went out drinking considering I heard you muttering curses, West" He smiled his smirky smile. "Although I had a feeling you were going to do something like this. Bring him gifts. When are you planning to tell him?"

Germany was silent for a moment and said "Tell him about what?"

"You know. Your dreams" He said seriously. "You know those dreams have something to do with what his hiding" His red eyes seemed to be glowing to Germany. The eyes that had seen countless wars and battles. The eyes that had seen his own country dissolve into nothing but a forgotten memory.

"Give me some time and I will. I am not even sure if they do have anything to do with it" He walked past him and before stepping inside Italy's room turned to him and said "But I'll make sure of whatever it is Italy is hiding. I'll make sure not to fail like I did in them" And then closed the door soundlessly and locking it behind him.

Prussia looked at the door for a moment and then he too turned in for the night.