Chapter 28

"So Geraldine..Where do you want to meet tomorrow?" Elizabeth asked, munching on her sandwich.

"Anywhere is fine." I smiled as I took a bite of my burger.

It seems like what happened yesterday happened decades ago. It was too much to take in.

Right now, I'm having lunch with Elizabeth and Erika in the cafeteria. As usual Joseph was there but he wasn't. I didn't know why.

I can't ask them.

"You alright?" Travis whispered.

There was Travis too. I couldn't miss him out. Ever since what happened last night, he seemed to change the way he treated me.

But I can't figure out what that was.

"Er..yeah.." I lied.

Actually that lie was useless. He knows I'm lying.

"Okay.." He nodded and turned to Erika.

"Why isn't he here today?"

"Erm..He's not feeling well. Well..that's what I wanna believe but he hasn't come out of his room since last night." Erika continued."I guess..it's normal..actually it's just that he hasn't spoken to me since the party."

"Normal.." Travis chuckled." I totally believe that."

My eyes flickered to him. He knew what I wanted to know. And..I knew he didn't like Emmanuel at all but..still..

Travis gave me a slight smile. I smiled back at him. That feeling was rushing back again. The same one I had last night.

I have to keep that away. Those feelings have to be all locked up. At least for now..

"So back to the topic." Elizabeth smiled.

"Why don't we have lunch first. Then we'll maybe do our nails or something?"

"Perfect idea!" Joseph joked.

"Hey..you're not going." Elizabeth giggled and she turned to look at Travis."Neither are you. I know you wanna be with Geraldine but she's mine..well ours for the day. Understood? "

"Haha. Alright. I'll hang out with Joseph then!" Travis laughed.

"Sure thing! Bro." Joseph smiled.

I can't help but laugh too.

"By the way..how did you guys know about Jennifer?" Erika asked.

I hesitated. I wanted to say something yet I can't.

"Well..she came up to us." Travis replied.

"Came up?" Erika asked once more.

"Probably...because she has a crush on you." Elizabeth suggested.

"Wow...that's possible. You're one lucky guy, Travis. Boys literally queue up for her." Erika laughed.

I felt that numb feeling once again. Seems like I have to learn how to control it. I slowly looked at Travis.

It's true. Jennifer really likes him. And he probably likes her too.

"Hilarious." Travis coughed.

Is he pretending he doesn't know that Jennifer indeed likes him?

"But it's kinda obvious." Joseph added.

"Yeah!" Erika exclaimed.

Travis just rolled his eyes.

"Or..." Elizabeth smirked. Suddenly I felt Elizabeth's and Erika's eyes turned to me.

"W-w-what? " I stuttered.

"Or...you already have someone you like..and so it doesn't matter even if one of the hottest girls in school has a crush on you." Elizabeth turned back to Travis.

I didn't look at Travis' expression. Well something in me didn't dare to.

"You're face is really red." Elizabeth laughed.

So he does like someone. Well.. good for him.

I suddenly spoked." Really, Travis? That's awesome! Introduce me to her one day!"

Travis suddenly turned away such that I can't see his face."Yeah..sure.."

Erika and Elizabeth looked at me. While Joseph looked silently too.

Did I say something wrong? Yes. You did. A voice in my head spoke.

Travis stood up and walked away. Leaving Elizabeth's glare at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Don't you feel any pain? At least a tinge of it when you said those words to him?" Elizabeth said softly.

Pain..? Yes. I did. Of course I did. But I didn't know if that was what she meant by "pain".

"Er..." I mumbled.

"How could you be so oblivious and dense?" Elizabeth asked with a tone I never heard of before.

Was Elizabeth angry at me?

"What are you doing?" She yelled.

I was terrified. Terrified of Elizabeth.

"Elizabeth!" Erika exclaimed and suddenly her voice turned shaky." She..doesn't feel the same way about him. So don't force her."

"What do you mean, Erika? I'm not talking about HER feelings! I'm talking about HIS feelings towards her!" Elizabeth continued.

"She...she..is..she..the person she loves..she's put in all her heart for him. Such that..everything else becomes meaningless. So please." Erika looked away.

Elizabeth's expression changed. She became the warm and loving Elizabeth I knew.

"I'm sorry. Geraldine. I shouldn't...I shouldn't have." She started running away while Joseph ran after her.

I looked up at Erika. Her eyes were red and tears were streaming down.

The guilt rushed in to my heart.

Her eyes were full of sadness yet full of determination to hide that.

From that moment I knew.

Erika has all along been aware of my feelings for him.

Emmanuel.

She knew.

-To be continued.