Chapter FIVE

Chapter FIVE

Hate

While on the way to the hotel, I can't afford to say something or even start a conversation with him. My mind is fraught of different thoughts. 'Ivan Ramirez! Bakit ba hindi ko siya nakilala agad? Gosh I'm so stupid! Sa lahat-lahat ng gulo ito pa ang napasukan ko.' Hindi ko alam pero mukhang malas talaga ako sa bakasyong ito. I can't really have peace of mind because tomorrow morning paniguradong naipublish na sa pahayagan ang litratong iyon. The worse thing here is  when Ivan know my identity, he will surely be mad and hate me for the rest of his life.

All of the things that happens three years had passed revive in my mind. I'm a newly hired staff during that time kaya our manager don't allow me to handle the major stories but he gave me an assignment about the side stories. One of the issues that media focuses that time is the tragedy happens of the biggest shipping lines in the world. One of their ship had sank beneath the ocean that causes death to the passengers. Almost 800 people only got rescued during that sea  catastrophe.

"Cath, I will gave you a task." our manager called me one time.

"What task sir?" I said excitedly.

"About the Ramirez shipping lines tragedy."

"Great! Do you want me to make the main segment about that tragedy sir?" I asked.

"Nope. I already have sent Lexin to the interview with the company. I want you to seek out the rescued victims, get their side  and make a segment with it." our manager explained everything to me.

"Yes sir!" I said with my genuine smile to our manager.

While I go on with my investigation with the victims. I found out that they really are in pain because of the sudden death of their family member. I felt sorry to them. Bigla akong nakadama ng galit sa owner ng Ramirez shipping lines and to the coastguard on duty that time, they didn't secure if something's wrong with the ship before letting the ship travel through the sea.

As what I expected, naging dramatic ang segment na iyon which is the cause that I have recognized to our manager and some of my colleagues.

"Congratulations Cath, you did a wonderful job!" our manager congratulate me.

"Thanks, sir. I couldn't have done it without your support.  Your trust encouraged me to do my best." sagot ko sa kaniya.

All of them congratulate me except Lexin. I already expected that to happen because he has a rude and jealous attitude against me. He want to be the star, ayaw niyang may makalagpas sa kaniya. 'We'll sorry ka na lang dahil may katapat ka na!'

"Hay naku, girls are always girls! Lahat dinadaan sa drama." pagpaparinig niya sa akin when we encountered in the hallway of our studio.

"Atleast, I have a heart Lex unlike you. We have different strategies in our work!" I said and rolled my eyes.

All was successfully done. Based on our report, marami talagang pamilya ang nawalan ng mga mahal sa buhay because of that sea tragedy. At sinisisi ng halos lahat ang CEO nito na si Ivan Ramirez. Kalaunan ay humupa na rin ang issue about Ivan's company.

"Shit! Sa dami-dami ng lalaki sa mundo, bakit ba naman si Ivan pa ang nagligtas sa akin? Why would I couldn't remember him earlier? Damn!"

"What are you thinking about?" I asked him to hide my fear.

Ilang sigundo rin itong walang imik bago sumagot. "I'm just thinking to whom I should asked help para mapigilan ang paglabas ng litratong iyon sa newspaper bukas."

'You can't terminate it Ivan!' Gusto kong isatinig iyon but I can't. I know the mindset of my co-workers. Nobody can't stop them to publicized a sensational stories.

"Sinabi ko naman sayo!" nangangalaiti niyang sabi.

"What?" I asked him, confused on what he mean.

"I really hate reporters!"

"Excused me, meron ka bang nakitang reporter kanina? As what I clearly see recently it's just only a photographer who caught and take a photo of us." I defended. 'Sabi ko na nga ba!'

"Tomorrow iyong picture na iyon may kasama ng report. Tsaka pareho na 'yon. There just too intrusive in the personal life of the populace." he hissed.

"There just doing their job!" I cant help to control it anymore. If only he knows that I'm also a reporter.

"What job? Ang makialam sa buhay ng iba?"

I didn't answer him. I choose to remain reticent and calm dahil baka makahalata pa siya na may kinakampihan ako.