Chapter 4 - Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's and of course my best friend is super excited to do anything.
Since the new boy, Lucas Friar, started at our school last year sge has been more excited about everything.
But I am definitely not that excited about it.
I just know that not only is Valentine's about love but also about people reconcile.
And I was fine with that but within line.
And that I didn't like.
Me and Mom always knew that when the time comes we will be able to reconcile but for now we are both just too heartbroken.

"Come on Maya. Valentine's Day is fun. And we have the dance tonight," Riley said trying to cheer me up.

But it didn't work.
Besides who feels like it?

"You are crazy if you think we are going... If you think I am going. Besides it's freezing to be appearing in a dress," I say trying to get myself out of it.
"Not working Peaches. It's either that or we attent my uncle's seventeenth birthday. He actually did say you are invited if you want to come," Riley said making me smile.

Okay I would rather drive two hours than stay at a dance.
And I wasn't going back.

"Why not? Anything better than the dance," I said.
"We're leaving at three. Overnight as well so pack up. I'll let Dad know you are coming," Riley said and was off.

I was very glad to be going and even more when I heard it was Josh's birthday.
I heard a lot about this day and when I heard that I was invited it made my day.
But I was quite nerves because of a few reasons.
One was because I still didn't know how to act around Josh.
And I don't know if I would ever know.

We went straight home after school and a packed a little overnight bag.
Like literally a little bag.
I grabbed my backpack and put the following in:

1. Two outfits.
2. A pair of shoes.
3. A towel.
4. A hair brush.
5. A bath kit.
6. Cellphone charger.
7. Ponytail holders.

And that was it.
I texted my mom to stay I was going away and where she could reach me.
I then went out the door and locked.
From there I went to the Matthews.
I knocked on the door and Riley comes.

"That was fast," Riley said and I smiled.

I saw how everything was choas and my eyes widened.
I looked at her and she threw her hands in the air.

"A backpack?" Riley asked then her mom came.
"Will that be enough Maya?" Mrs Matthews asked as I looked back.
"Yeah it has everything I need. How can I help?" I ask.
"Auggie needs help," Mrs Matthews said and I was off.

I went into Auggie's room and saw everything was on the ground.

"Need help Buddy?" I asked and Auggie looks up.
"Please," he says and I smile.

We then pick up all the clothes and picked out two outfits for tomorrow.
We then picked out shoes and put everything else he needed in.

"There we go. What about Mister Googly? Taking him with?" I ask.
"Yeah. Let's go," Auggie said and took my hand.

"Okay we are done," I say and Mrs Matthews smiles.
"Thank you Maya. You are really helping. We are also done so let's go," Mrs Matthews said and we were off.

In Philadelphia.

It was close to five and Josh got his niece's text that Maya was joining them.
He was very glad since he has been thinking about her a lot lately.
And he doesn't actually know why.

"Mom. Riley send me a text. She is bringing Maya with her," Josh said.
"And you're okay with that?" Amy asked.
"I asked to tell her she can come. I have a feeling her mother very... What word am I looking for? Absent."
"We also thought about something like that. We have never seen her," Allan said.