Apologies

I see my door open and dad emerges from behind it. "Hi. Can we talk?" He asks.

"Only if you promise not to have a go at me." I say, slightly scared.

"I promise."

"Good. Let's sit." I motion to my bed and we sit down.

"I'm sorry. I should never have done this in the first place. You're growing up, you're going to make mistakes, you're going to like people and have your heart broken and you're going to do stupid things because you only live once and don't want to miss or regret a thing. That is what makes an adult. You know me, I've made multiple mistakes in my life and I regret so many things. I realise now that I need to cut the cables and let you grow up. I guess a part of me wants you to stay my little girl."

I turn and look at my father. I place a hand on his cheek and he leans into it. "I will always be your little girl, dad, that's never going to change. Even if mom isn't here, I have you and that's all I could have asked for. You're the best dad ever, but you have to stop worrying that you'll be like your father. At the end of the day, he still loved you and you know it. I get you want me to be safe but a baby bird can't grow up unless you let it spread its wings and fly."

"I'm sorry I snapped like that."

"And I'm sorry for being so hormonal."

We both laugh. I lean into dad and embrace him in a hug. "I love you sweetheart."

"I love you too. To infinity and beyond, forever and always."

"How do you feel about Peter?"

"Why?"

"If you like him, I can't stop your feelings, I can't control you. If you feel like he's the one, go for it."

"He likes someone else at school. I don't mind, as long as he's happy."

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here, if not you have Happy and you have Pepper."

"She's pretty much my mom at this point."

"Yeah she is. She's a good mom though, even if she is busy. I'll plan a getaway for the summer for us."

"Sounds great. So... am I off house arrest?"

"Duh!"

I hug him one more time and dash into Peter's room.