Chapter 15

November, 2014

“I’m just doing what the fortune cookie said! Who am I to stand in the way of fate?” Esme placed a hand over her heart dramatically, whilst taking a deep gasp of air. She had just kicked Hunter in the balls because her fortune cookie apparently ‘told’ her to, and by told her to, the fortune cookie read ‘You will have to cause someone deep pain in the near future’

“Holy shit, it’s a good job I don’t want kids!” Hunter groaned from his crouched position on the floor.

“Aren’t you proud of me, Nathey?” She grinned whilst trying to hug me; I grimaced and pushed her off much to her dismay.

“So much so, cupcake,” I smirked, causing her to cringe at the nickname.

She pulled a disgruntled face, “Cupcake, seriously?”

“Nathey, seriously?” I mocked in a girly tone to which she glared.

“All you do is mock me, I swear.” Esme laughed, playfully nudging me with her elbow. I felt better today, I didn’t look like a walking corpse and I had actually bothered to do my hair.

“Sweetheart, you love it. And besides, you’d miss it if I wasn’t here,” I smiled smugly when she blushed and looked away.

Seeing as it was a Sunday afternoon, we had no school until tomorrow. I was incredibly bored; you know the kind of boredom where you could rip your own hair follicles out? Yeah, that.   

“Get in there, Nathan!” Hunter cheered, now standing from his former assault. “Not too much though, we don’t want her ending up like another one of those abuse victims. They’re quite the annoyance.” He laughed whilst walking away from the common room and whistling the theme tune to Family guy.

“What the hell does that mean?” Esme asked, looking a little worried as she took a few steps away from me.

“What does what mean?” I asked as innocently as I could.

“Abuse victim? What the fuck?” She almost shrieked, and I could tell she wasn’t going to stop pestering me.

I tilted my head questionably whilst keeping eye contact and tried to put my hand against her forehead to check for a temperature but she quickly swatted it away. “Are you feeling okay?” I narrowed my eyes at her, trying to look as concerned as I could.

“The fuck? I’m fine! You’re really fucking weird Nathan,” Esme stepped back as I took one forward, the sequence went on until her back met the wall and I was stood in front of her. Not too close, but close enough to make her blush.

“Are you sure? Because I have no idea what you’re talking about, you said something about abuse victims? What does that mean?” I lied though my teeth, this was easier and quite frankly more entertaining than listening to her bitch on and on about it.

“Don’t bullshit me, I know what he said.” She narrowed her eyes and I’ll hand it to the girl, she can give almost as hard as she gets. Just to clarify, I mean that in the less sexual way possible.

“I’m not a hundred percent sure what you’re talking about, sweetheart.” I cooed sweetly, and I swear I almost saw her heart melt.

“I-it was probably nothing…I guess it must have been s-someone else…” Esme stuttered. 

I took a step away from her and laughed, “There’s my girl,” I smirked.

“I’m not your girl, Nath,” She rolled her eyes, taking a seat on the couch.

“You keep thinking that, cupcake.” I sang, walking away from her in the same direction Hunter did. I wasn’t sure where I was going, but I kept on walking anyway figured I’d probably end up doing the same thing I do every day, sitting under that tree until one of the nurses tell me how I need to stop isolating myself.