|Chapter Three| Devil's Hour

2:38 am.

"'2:38am' my ass." Aphmau complains, kicking the blanket off of her and standing up. Out the window was pure blackness.

She takes a blanket off of the edge of the bed and wraps it around her. She walks out of the room, down the stairs, almost at the front door.

"And what are you doing up so early in the morning, ma'am?" The Inn keeper scares the living daylights out of her.

She takes a few moments to gather herself, "Can't sleep." She responds, "Is it safe to go out this time?"

"Couldn't tell you, miss." He says.

"Are there any reports on any crimes? Any I should be worried about?"

"We haven't had a reporting boy for 26 years. Stuff happened."

"What kind of stuff?" She raises an eyebrow.

"You'd have to ask the boy's grandfather. He'd know more about it than anyone else here."

"Well, I'm sure you'd be able to hear around town about anything bad happening? Have you heard anything?"

"Ma'am, I'm sure it's fine outside." He stops her from as lying more questions, "Go on out before your boyfriend gets too worried."

After he said that, her face was burning red. "T-Thanks." She quickly pushes the door open and steps outside. As soon as she does, she regrets it immediately. But she had a choice to make.

Go back inside and have a hard time going back to sleep, but she'll be in Aaron's arms, snuggly and warm...

Or....

Go out into the village, not knowing what or where anything is, possibly dangerous to be out at night...

"Always up for a adventure." She shrugs and starts walking towards the village.

As she passes by, there is not one building light on. Only the street lights have dim lights but she'll make it. She studies the streets and shops set around everywhere.

She stops right in front of the fountain. Frozen solid and covered in snow. She steps closer and starts to wipe the snow off. She stops when she finds a note.

"Surmise Falls, a great place to be." She reads off the plaque.

"Beautiful too," Aphmau turns around to see that guy again. "Of course, when everything's so bright and colorful."

"What are you doing out so early?" She asks, tightening the blanket around her.

"That's not important." He crosses his arms, "Why are you out during Devil's hour, beautiful?"

She shakes off the pet name and laughs, "Devil's hour? What are you, thirteen years old?"

"Hey, it's a valid name for it. Heard all of the witches and demons and ghost come out during this time," He attempts to scare her, "Good thing I'm here."

"You don't scare me. But to be honest, you'd scare them away instantly."

He scoffs, "And what makes you say that, sweetheart?" He leans on the fountain.

"Your face would scare anyone away anyday anytime. " She starts to laugh.

He puts a hand out his chest, acting offended. "I'll have you know the ladies love my face."

"Is that why they scream at the sight of you?"

He starts laughing with her, "You are something else." He extends his hand out. "Gene."