|Chapter Five| The "lost" boy

"Papa?"

Papa was the man of her life all those years ago. She was the only piece of family she had. He smiles and picks her up.

"Something on your mind, Aph?" He asks. The little girl in his arms was only 6 years old at the time.

"I want to ask about mama," She whispers. "Why did she leave?" A question so hard to explain to a little girl with high hopes. A question so hard to answer when she still believes that she could meet her mother one day.

"Mama had some business to handle," He responds, "You don't have to worry."

Aphmau knew he was lying, but she didn't want to fight. "You won't leave, right, Papa?"

"Never."

•○●A Purplla Publish●○•

"You can tell she's scared. She's even tense in her sleep." Garroth nudges at Aphmau who's asleep, leaning on Blaze's shoulder with his jacket around her.

"I don't blame her," He says, "The risk of losing her father is like a journey through hell. I'm glad King Aaron's been helping her."

Garroth sighs, "Yeah." He lowers his head.

"You okay?"

"Will you kill me if I tell you the truth?" Garroth whispers. Blaze shakes his head in return.

"Well, you see-"

"Sounds like you guys are having quite the conversation." A guy plops down next to Aphmau. "Who's sleeping beauty?"

"What do you want?" Garroth asks. The guy throws his hands up across the wall and bites his lip.

"No need to be hostile, mate. Just trying to make friends on the other side." He shrugs. Blaze and Garroth exchange a look and look back at the man.

"Other side?"

"Well you don't look like you're from anywhere in the region. Unless you're from Lucrua. That explains how you got thrown into here so easily." He laughs.

Blaze scoffs and Garroth growls, "Come on, Blaze. We don't have the time for this." Garroth mumbles.

"Actually, you do." The man laughs, "This is Surmise Falls prison. We have all the time in the world. Ever heard the story of the lost boy?"

"No." Blaze says.

"Perfect." The man smiles and propped himself up against the cold brick wall. "Years ago..."

There lived a man named Joseph and he had two healthy sons. Joseph made sure that his sons had everything they needed by working three jobs. His sons saw that he was weary and frustrated.

The first son worried the most. Older brother, more responsibilities. When his father wasn't around, he'd make sure his younger brother was protected from any harm.

As for the younger boy, he was too young to understand what was happening with his father.

One day, the father comes home beat up and tired from mining in the Nether. This was the opportunity the eldest boy stood up and took on another responsibility: The reporter boy.

"Father." The eldest called out. His father looks up. "I want to take on another job."

"My boy, you don't-"

"I do, father. I'll be providing for all of us and you get more rest." Joseph stands up and towers over the little boy.

"You don't have to worry about me. I'm doing what I'm supposed to."

"I'm not asking. I've already signed up."

"Boy-" Joseph clutches his fist. He sighs and relaxes, "I suppose you're old enough to have a little job."

"I won't let you down, father." The first few months were perfect. The boy brought extra money to the house and Joseph wasn't as tired as he usually is. Today is September 6th, Joseph's birthday.

"Remember, come back before dark. And stay inside of town." Joseph warns him.

"I promise." The boy waves and leaps right out the door into town. Half an hour later, the boy drops off the last paper.

"Done.' He whistles. As he turns to walk back home, he heata his name called.

"Over here." The faint voice beckons. The boy follows the sound of the voice until he reaches the outskirts of town. He looks at the forest and sweat starts to form on his forehead.

"Right along that line." The voice says.

"I told father I wouldn't go into the woods." He za responds.

"It'll just be a quick second." The boy is hesitant, very, but he was born with the brain of a curious boy. He crosses the line and into the forest, letting out a shriek that could be heard from miles away.

Joseph and the village searched day and night for the boy, but he was never found. To this day...

"Every kid that hears the story sweats that they will never ever be the next reporter kid."

"Pft that story was rubbish." Blaze sneers.

"It's not like we knew everything that happened that night. I know what everyone else knows." Hw stands up and tucks his hands into his pockets, "Screams were reported and the boy was never seen again."

Aphmau shuffles in her sleep for a while then settles down. "She'll wake up with the worst cramp."

Blaze starts laughing, "What's your name?" The man smiles and extends his hand out in front of Blaze.

"Travis."

●A Purplla Publish●

Pft I'm a day late. But thank you for reading this chapter of TUK2

Until next time,

~Purplla💜