|Chapter Ten| What happens in the woods, doesn't stay in the woods

"Hey Travis, can I ask you something?" Aaron asks as the group keeps walking towards Lucrua. Only four hours until camp.

"Shoot."

"Why are you helping us out? I mean, you barely know us and we don't know you. So why help us?"

"It's the humanly thing to do. Plus I'm trying to get to Lucrua too."

"Mind telling me why?"

Travis shrugs, "Depends. Will you judge me for it?" No answer. Travis tsks and turns his head away from Aaron, "I better get back to navigating the group. Wouldn't want to get lost. Your girlfriend looks mighty alone, eh? Maybe you should finish out the walk with her."

•○●A Purplla Publish●○•

"How are you feeling?" Aphmau puts her hand over Aaron's forehead.

"Nothing a good night's rest can't fix." He coughs and leans his head back on the tree.

"We'll be to Lucrua by noon tomorrow. First thing we do is getting you medicine." She sits down next to him, "I know you're stressed. Take it easy, okay?" She pecks his cheek and lays her head on his shoulder.

"I can't take it easy. Not as long as he's around." He refers to Travis, who's talking with Travis and Blaze. Katelyn's already asleep, propped under a tree.

"Tell me what's the worst thing about him."

"He's a stranger who sticks to us like glue. If you haven't noticed, the people here are strange. Especially him. I don't know why he stands out the most, but... he's so weird and difficult to handle."

"This isn't the world we're used to, of course everyone will seem strange. Yes, Travis is odd, I'll admit that, but he's helped us a lot. Got us out of jail and now he's helping us get to Lucrua. We'd be back at that Surmise Falls right now if he never came along." She defends him.

"The dude doesn't even "have a backstory". I don't trust him. If the man can't share something about him, I can't trust him."

"You sound crazy. Now tell me the best thing about him." Aaron scrunches his face up at the thought. "Stop playing. Answer the question."

"He's helpful."

"It's okay to not trust him, but this is strictly business. After we find my father, we leave and Travis stays behind. Does that sound like a deal to you?"

Aaron nods, "Good." Aphmau says, "If we keep walking, we'll be in Lucrua first thing in the morning. You think you'll be a bit better by then? At least to finish the walk?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Hmm."

"Hmm?"

"You're lying. You look and sound miserable." She feels his forehead to see if it's burning up. Turns out she was right. He was hotter than he was in the morning. "We're stopping so you can rest."

"No, we can to get your father and we aren't stopping until he's safe."

"Aaron, you have a fever. You really think I'm really going to let you work in this condition. We can stop for a night."

"You... I just want you to be happy. To have your father back. I don't want to be weak." Aphmau chuckles,

"Now you sound childish. Ever the strongest kings have his moment. And I'm doing good. But you aren't. We're setting up camp so you can rest up for the walk to Lucrua. Then we'll find something for your fever. Okay?

"Thanks, Aph. You're amazing." 

"Just taking care of you."

~~~