If at first, you don't succeed

Wind was pleased with herself. Winter has been playing hard to get, but finally, he gave in.

When she approached him earlier, she was uncertain. She had no idea what to do. She'd seen humans claim each other by getting really close and she wanted to try it too but once she got started, she realized that she had never paid enough attention to see what they did once in that position.

She was about to lose all hope when Jack took charge and placed his lips on hers. Thankfully, he knew what to do and she was delighted because finally, he did something with this body she procured for him.

She was getting worried before that she failed in creating a body that would be an object of his desire, that she got the magic wrong, but now, her doubts were lifted. He wanted her. She could feel the force of his desire in each kiss and each touch. Now, she finally understood that he had been holding himself back before, though she did not comprehend why. If her body was appealing to him, why did he not take it from the start?

She offered herself to him on day one and had given him plenty of opportunities since but he resisted each time. Even now, when they had finally made progress, he hadn't fully taken her yet. Was she doing something wrong?

The wintry afternoon sky became darker as the day was coming to an end, and they headed back to Jamie's house.

Jack decided to show her that movie he mentioned before and they snuggled on the couch in Jamie's living room to watch it.

"That's a Groot?" Wind asked when seeing a walking tree.

"Yeah."

"I know them as Living Trees. I haven't met one yet though."

Jack looked at her with that lopsided smirk she loved. "Wind, it's a movie. This is a made-up character. It's not real."

Wind chuckled. "Oh, Jack, I know that, but Living Trees are real."

Jack looked for signs that she was joking or teasing him and finally sighed. "You'd think things would stop surprising me by now."

The movie confused her. She had a hard time understanding the story, the characters, and their motivations. Groot seemed to be the most sensible among them so she felt pleased that Jack compared her to him.

Which character was he most like? Maybe the raccoon? She laughed at the thought and Jack gave her a questioning look. Oh, maybe this wasn't one of those 'funny' scenes and she wasn't supposed to laugh.

He put his arm over her shoulder and played with her hair, wrapping it around his finger.

"Wind?"

"Hmm?"

"I was wondering. Whenever I asked you to carry me, just how much of my thoughts could you hear? Can you hear them now?"

"Back when I was Wind, I could hear you whenever you thought of me. This body is more restrictive, but the rest of me, she still hears you."

"So, whenever I would think of you, you would hear everything I thought? That's a little intrusive, don't you think?"

"Oh, my Jack. I would hear only what you wanted me to hear."

"I can live with that. Do you have that communication with all spirits?"

"Of course not. On your first day as a spirit, I was there, I felt it when you were reborn and wanted to check out the new spirit. You felt me right away. So many spirits don't even recognize what I am. And those who recognize, they only bother to use me. You were different. From the start, you talked to me, you thanked me, and I accepted you as my mate. That's why I could hear you. When you fully accept me, you will hear me the same."