Prologue: Hospital

Darkness

Darkness.

That's all I see.

Emptiness.

That's all I am.

Alive.

That's what I am.

Blank.

That's me.

Alone.

That's all I feel.

The light shining through my eyelids is what awoke me from my dream-like state. I hear the beeping of machines and the movement of people as I awake. Lifting my head, I see several nurses rush around trying to assess the situation. I look at the IV in my arm and I want it out. I want out. I look down and I see something missing. Where is it?

Where is the only thing that makes me feel safe? I feel my chest start to tighten when I realize that it isn't here. My breath shortens and I can sense people rushing over to me. I feel a sharp pain in my arms and I feel myself falling. Falling where I do not know. All I know is that blackness takes over.

Hours later, at least I think, I wake up and I see a young man sitting across the room. He shifts in his seat as he notices me moving. He leaves the room and brings a doctor back in him. I sit up in the bed and I look around. A typical hospital room. I then look at my wrist and I twist the bracelet and take a look at what it says.

Jane Doe

Dr. William Morrison

DOB: N/A           Ad: 03/10/2020

Rm# 376        F          28Y

Under all that information in a barcode with another bunch of numbers under it. Is my name Jane Doe? The doctor looks at me looking at my bracelet and I continue to twist around my wrist hoping to find a way to get it off. I eventually look up and I see the doctor watching me.

"Miss?" He asks me. I pull my knees my chest and wrap my arms around them.

"Well, I'm your doctor, Dr. William Morrison. You arrived last night alone and collapsed in our lobby. Can you tell me how you got there?" I shake my head. The other man starts to write something down in a small black notebook.

"Okay, can you tell me your name?"

"Jane Doe?" I ask quietly. Why does the doctor have an accent and I don't? Dr. Morrison and the man looked at each other and the other man nodded.

"Can you tell me where you are from?" I shake my head.

"Can you tell me when your birthday is?" I shake my head again. Why are they asking me all of this? Why can't I remember anything? I start to hit my hand against my forehead hoping that it will do something. The doctor grabs my hand and stops me.

"Hey, it's okay," he says pulling my hand down from my head, "We believe that you went through something very traumatic and that caused your mind to block out everything leaving you blank." I nod my head with understanding. He looks back at the other man.

"The young man behind me is Detective Jamie Brunt. He is going to try and figure out what happened. Would it be okay if he talked to you for a little while?" I nod my head. Dr. Morrison walks back to him.

"Don't push for anything. I'm worried about her mental state," he whispers quietly.

"I know. Your sister is waiting outside. She wants to talk to you," Detective Brunt replies. The doctor nods his head and leaves the room. Jamie walks over to me and brings a chair with him. He puts it next to my bed.

"I know that right now everything is really scary, but my partner and I are going to do everything to help you." I nod my head and I pull my knees closer to me and I put my head on one of them.

"Do you have my grey blanket?" I ask quietly. He looks at me confused and then he realizes what I'm asking.

"I know where it is. I can give it to you if you want it," he answers. I nod my head rapidly and he grabs it out of the bag that is across the room. He brings it back over to me. I grab it from him and I bring it close to my chest.

"Can you explain to me why it is so important?" He asks and I continue to hold it close to me.

"I don't know. It is the only thing that I remember. I always had this blanket," I explain. He nods his head. After a moment of silence, I ask, "What's my name? Is it Jane Doe?"

"No, it isn't. That is what we call an unidentified female. In other words, we don't know who you are," he explains. Then who I am? We sit in silence for a little longer and he realizes that I'm not going to ask anything else.

"Okay, I think that is all for today. I'm going to let you rest for a while and I will be back tomorrow," he says getting up. I nod and he moves the chair back and I lay back down. I hold the blanket close and I close my eyes falling into a deep slumber.

 I hold the blanket close and I close my eyes falling into a deep slumber

I turn before I leave the room and I see her fall asleep. There is something about this woman that doesn't make sense. How did she end up at the hospital? Quinn, my partner, and I looked at the cameras and it showed that she walked here alone. She has no memory of anything besides that grey blanket.

What happened to this woman?

Who is she?

Why is she BLANK?